Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser engrave logo on bowl bottom

Laser engrave logo on bowl bottom

Hi all: Did some searches and couldn't find any discussions about laser engraving my logo on the bottom of my bowls. I want to get an inexpensive machine that will do this, but all the inexpensive machines Z axis travel is limited to about 10-15 mm which wouldn't work on a bowl bottom. Anyone with some recommendations?

Thanks,
    Tom Hoffman

you could alway cut out the bottom of a cheap laser and set it uo on blocks to get the correct focus. by a cheap k40 and just cut out the bottom.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks. Good idea. What is a k40?

Its a cheap 40 watt co2 laser engraver . should be ok for what you want to do.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

why does it have to be a laser. A lot of people have mold made of the logo and then burn the logo onto the bowl or whatever. Similar to woodburning.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thats another idea and theres lots of use here that can make them for you
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Google "Ortur laser"-- they're dinky lasers, come in many configurations, the basic square frame can be propped up on soup cans or whatever's handy to fit over your bowls, etc... I've talked to a couple of people who say they work pretty good for wood engraving. There's other brands that look similar...

ortur.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks Kev. Funny that you should mention Ortur. I just discovered them while poking around on Amazon. This looks like exactly what I want.

just out of curiosity whats the power and speed like of these type lasers if compared to say a 40 co2 laser. anyone got an idea?
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert they are diode lasers, 5 maybe 10-12 watts but very effective compared to co2. Slow and the one I had a couple years ago had a POS control system hacked from another source. Today I am sure they are much improved. So the machine can use Lightburn, BUT the stated output on the most expensive machine says 20 watts, but that is the Input power to the diode, the output is more like 6 watts. It will be slow but looks like it could do the job.
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-12-2021 at 9:29 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thanks Bill.
    I thought they were slow. I still think a cheap co2 would be a better option, but if slow is OK then the diode might be ok
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Co2 lasers are pretty good. But they need to have an exhaust system and a water cooling system for the tube. The mirrors may need to be adjusted as well, even when new. A lot more complicated than the Ortur. I have the Ortur and it does a good job for the price point. A Co2 laser is a step up in both performance and operationally though.

Reading the reviews for the Ortur reminds me about having the same issues with mine diode laser machine two years ago. Random stops, hard to get it to Home correctly and on. The GRBL control Gcode was one the the things causing problems. It was just not a reliable system the entire package.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

also the system is not enclosed so you have to wear special safety glass's and anyone else in the room too including pets that might look at the thing running
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander