Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw.......I got a problem here...

Bandsaw.......I got a problem here...

I have a Laguna LT16HD bandsaw (ACM) that was made in 2001 with a 3hp Italian Motor.

I bought it with light use from the original owner maybe 7 years ago. This weekend I had issues I just can’t figure out. I’m pretty confident I can properly setup the bandsaw for tension, blade tracking, guides, fence etc etc. but either way I did it the same as I always have done.

I was ripping a bunch of 8/4 soft maple that I just finished milling flat and square. After a couple cuts the blade started to track like a snake swimming through the water. I stopped the machine and readjusted everything. I started cutting again and after a few cuts it started doing it again. With a bunch of work ahead of me I decided to change to a brand new blade, even though I was pretty sure this one was sharp. Put the exact same blade on, but new, and went back at it.

First few cuts were great then it started again towards the end of the cut. Out of ideas I just cut the next board and it was fine. A few would be nice and straight then it would start up again. It would only happen towards the end of the rip. Some boards were 18” and others were 27”. I adjusted feed rates, pressures, everything. Never had this happen before and I was out of ideas as to what to even try.

So I kept going and had the saw running for almost and hour cutting. If it started serpentining again I just pushed through as it wouldn’t matter much for final project. Added info is that once it started to serpentine it just would get progressively worse until out of the cut.

Well after about an hour of cutting I shut it off to rejoint a few boards. When I went to start it again it was very slow then died. I looked behind the saw the capacitor failed bad. It is the original 20 year old capacitor.

I have a friend coming over to give me a hand with the capacitor, he knows motors.

So any ideas as to what was going on?

DC122904-6D5A-42D2-8F26-33BA969B0402.jpg

91930568-7EE1-4D4A-A72B-368CEB09144E.jpg

5531FA10-769D-4BF2-88AB-64F9DF1CEB5F.jpg

812D60CE-1CAD-4A52-AF4A-885DD58FA387.jpg

That’s pretty much what I experienced when my capacitor went bad. My guess is the motor looses power and the cut suffers. Kinda like a belt slipping on a pulley.
    Thats a nice saw the 16 hd.

Heres what my capacitor looked like and what I replaced it with. Runs like a scalded dog now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Interesting. Thanks for the response. So you got the wavy cut also?

I’m going to call Laguna tomorrow and see if they know what to replace it with. There aren’t any markings on this one.

Mine went out slowly then one day poof. But I do remember feeling frustrated with my blades didn’t seem to last as long. My saw takes a 178 inch blade.
    When I put capacitor in I ran a regular 3t hook blade until it broke. It just kept going.
    I think you’re going to be a happy bandsawer when you get the new cap.
    Aj

Thanks Andrew. Appreciate it. Now I just have to figure out what capacitor I need........

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    That’s pretty much what I experienced when my capacitor went bad. My guess is the motor looses power and the cut suffers. Kinda like a belt slipping on a pulley.
    Thats a nice saw the 16 hd.
    I know nothing about that saw but my capacitor experience on my 18" Rikon was a bit different. When the capacitor failed suddenly the motor would just hum and fail to run. I removed the bad capacitor. While waiting for the replacement from Rikon I used the saw a LOT with no change in the power or function. I had to "jump start" the saw every time I turned it on by turning the motor manually. (This might sound dangerous but I simply pushed down on the blade with a piece of wood immediately after flipping the switch on.) Might remove the cap and try that and see if it makes any difference.

We had the same experience with failed capacitors on two lathes, a Jet mini and a Delta midi. In both cases the lathes continued to work normally with full power once given a twist on the handwheel. (Could even make the lathes run backwards.) I did remove the failed capacitors right away on both lathes if that makes any difference.

BTW, the failed cap on my Rikon looked almost exactly like the one Jebediah's picture. That's about the limit of my experience with motor capacitors except I understand there are start capacitors, run capacitors, and start/run capacitors - the motor expert friend should be a good resource. Once you figure the requirements you can usually buy a suitable capacitor locally. It doesn't have to match exactly as long as it is rated higher than the orig but sometimes finding one to fit into an existing protective can or "wart" is a problem.

I have a made-in-Italy 2005 LT 16 HD with a made-in-Italy Seimec 2.2 KW motor. About 8 years ago it suddenly refused to start and I was able to find that the capacitor needed replacement. I replaced-it with a Proline PB400E000P440EA 40uf 440VAC ... I bought it a motor service place for about $23 ... which was about 1/4 of what Laguna wanted for a replacement. I could not find any capacitor info on the wiring diagrams or parts listing.

Thanks for the info.

Here is the plate on the motor. I do see a 2.2 kW on the bottom left so maybe it will be the same as Sam? I don’t think size will matter for this one. It was just zip tied to the side of the motor.

I think you've got two different problems. If the motor doesn't run at full power the blade won't cut as fast but it should still cut straight unless you are over feeding it. Obviously, replace the capacitor and then you'll know.

John

That makes more sense to me John, but I’m hoping the capacitor caused the wavy cuts, not the other way around.

Could it be from the blade heating up and expanding thereby reducing tension? 8/4 maple can be a tough slog for a bandsaw blade.
    ‎"A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." —G. K. Chesterton

That sounds possible. But I have done a few runs of 100 board foot in the past month or two and haven’t had that issue until now.

Cutting one after another it may cut straight 3 times. Then on the 4th will serpentine after the halfway point, and then progressively worse. Then it might be fine on the very next cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah Eckert View Post
    That sounds possible. But I have done a few runs of 100 board foot in the past month or two and haven’t had that issue until now.

Cutting one after another it may cut straight 3 times. Then on the 4th will serpentine after the halfway point, and then progressively worse. Then it might be fine on the very next cut.
    Loose or worn tires?

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I think you've got two different problems. If the motor doesn't run at full power the blade won't cut as fast but it should still cut straight unless you are over feeding it. Obviously, replace the capacitor and then you'll know.

John

I'm with John: This almost seems like two different issues. Not seeing how reduced power will cause a wandering cut. My gut response to that is lack of adequate blade tension. Curious to hear how it goes.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

When the serpentine waving starts happening, have you paid attention to the thrust bearing to see what it is doing?
    I have a suspicion it will be spinning furiously and if so, it indicates inadequate tension, too much feed rate, or the thrust bearing being too close to the back of the blade.
    Incidentally all three of these variables are co-dependent.
    Dull blade is another possible related culprit.