Just posting pics of mine to stir your pot for your tool storage challenges. I came up with this for me to solve my particular set of problems, mostly by looking at picutres of stuff you guys have already made. I intended to be a bit further along before I opened this thread, but I had an idea today that I should have thought of before I started making sawdust.

Pics.

20210509_125917[1].jpg20210509_125941[1].jpg20210509_130016[1].jpg20210509_130042[1].jpg

Base of the cabinet is 24x30 inches, a bit smaller foot print then a tool chest, on 5" casters. The black bag in the bottom is my tool for working on machines, lawnmower, bicycle, whatever. It is a known tool group to me. When I needed a 7/16 flat wrench to adjust the chain tension on my vise, I reached for the black bag. First shelf off the floor is my toolbelt for working on the house. Again, a known familiar group of tools that (in my weak mind) all belong together.

Second pic is the upper portion of the cabinet, with another fixed shelf 15x24 inches, and a comb for the joinery saws at the very top. Finally I have a 'place' in the shop for my phone and keys too.

Third pic, the idea du jour. I am planning to make some sliding trays out of 3/8 BB with a strip of red oak top and bottom on each of left and right edges, as in pic 4. Red Oak runners not yet mounted to the cabinet walls will dictate head room above each tray. Now that I have the tool belt on the lower shelf I made a pencil mark on the sidewall for how much open area I need above the tool belt. I _should_ be able to put in a 24" deep tray, and 18" and a 12" and be be able to see the front six inches of each of those three trays without moving anything. Just grab and go.

I am giving up the dust protection offered by the closed lid of a classic tool chest, but I will not have to bend over everytime I need a tool, and 24x30 is a smaller than typical foot print.

I do have enough red oak 1x4 to also put on a wraparound dovetailed bumper on the base, and need to get that done ASAP. It will be a LOT easier to make once my layout tools are organized in the trays. I am planning to load up one side of the floor with clamps, the other side with lumber scrap in the 3-6 foot range. Haven't decided whether to use bungee cords, string or a built in handrail to support those.

Material was one sheet each of 3/8 and 3/4 Baltic Birch. I wanted 3/4 and 1/2, but I didn't want to wait for 1/2 to come in. Assembly was West System 105 resin with 207 special clear hardener and #406 colloidal silica for the joints. I did chamfer the exposed edges of the plywood with an electric router, the finished box has three coats of 105/207 with no additives to protect the surfaces. I did donate one piece of 24x30 inch 3/4 BB to repair a piece of subfloor in the house, so the two fixed shelves at 15x24 were from other shop scrap.