Thread: Sub-contractor leaves blotchy mess, what to do?

Angry Sub-contractor leaves blotchy mess, what to do?

My wife and I are soon having twins. I had some damage done in a cabin I own and had to have a contractor fix some things. As part of that, they were to replace a pine T&G wall.

The first stain examples I was sent were a blotchy mess. I had to talk to the subcontractor about how pine absorbs stain, wood conditioner, etc. I did not stain and finish the existing T&G walls, but they were not blotchy and they butt right up to this new wall.

He was finally able to stain a board properly, though he wasn't really able to match the tone or color great, but whatever, we needed to get moving.

Today I am sent these images attached.

This is the first wall you see when entering.

Do I tell the general contractor that I want a professional to strip it, neutralize it and stain it properly? Or just tell him he needs to fix it, as it may be easier / more cost effective to just stain and replace all the T&G on that small wall?

I really don't wanna be a back seat driver, but I mean you google 'how to stain pine' and the first result is 'how to stain pine properly without blotching', and he agreed to do two coats of conditioner. I also told him to be careful not to sand through his conditioner coats.

Just frustrating. Wood isnt cheap and nor is this work.

IMG_0743.jpgIMG_0742.jpg

Unless you did it yourself, don't assume that the original walls and ceiling were actually stained when it comes to pine...it could have just been varnish and time to get the color you show in that first photo. Your contractor may also not be a finishing person if they were the installer...from context that seems to be potentially true.

Getting the stain already applied "off" may not be an easy task, so if a finishing regimen that works to your satisfaction can be worked out on scrap (as it always should be...never on the actual project) then it may be best to replace the small section of wall that's not looking good with new material finished to your satisfaction. Do remember that that "new" pine is going to get darker over time all by itself, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's pine. It needs to be sealed or you risk blotching. And then there's the newer woods used today. They tend to blotch much worse than old growth woods.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain