My wife and I are soon having twins. I had some damage done in a cabin I own and had to have a contractor fix some things. As part of that, they were to replace a pine T&G wall.

The first stain examples I was sent were a blotchy mess. I had to talk to the subcontractor about how pine absorbs stain, wood conditioner, etc. I did not stain and finish the existing T&G walls, but they were not blotchy and they butt right up to this new wall.

He was finally able to stain a board properly, though he wasn't really able to match the tone or color great, but whatever, we needed to get moving.

Today I am sent these images attached.

This is the first wall you see when entering.

Do I tell the general contractor that I want a professional to strip it, neutralize it and stain it properly? Or just tell him he needs to fix it, as it may be easier / more cost effective to just stain and replace all the T&G on that small wall?

I really don't wanna be a back seat driver, but I mean you google 'how to stain pine' and the first result is 'how to stain pine properly without blotching', and he agreed to do two coats of conditioner. I also told him to be careful not to sand through his conditioner coats.

Just frustrating. Wood isnt cheap and nor is this work.

IMG_0743.jpgIMG_0742.jpg