Thread: Chess board

Chess board

Hi I am making a chess board out of ash and purple heart with 55mm x 30mm thick squares and want to put a frame around edges of the board.
    My question is, would gluing the frame to the board or do I need to leave a slight gap to allow for any timber movement.Thanks for any answers.

Peter,

Wood moves significantly across the grain when it's moisture level changes. It moves very little along the grain. If your frame is normal, it will have the grain running around the periphery so you would be trying to constrain pieces moving across their grain on two sides. That is assuming you haven't mixed the grain direction in the pieces (I would not). You need to find a way to allow for the across the grain movement. Like joining the pieces to the frame with a spline and leaving a little gap.

Because the movement occurs due to moisture changes if you use a finish which through seals the wood, the movement will be significantly less. But it has to be sealed on all sides. Polyurethane (water or oil borne) for example.

Jim

Thanks for quick reply am doing a spline so will leave a small gap.
    Thankyou
    Peter