Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latest Project - Dresser

Jeez Louise man. I should just sit on the floor of my shop and beat my toes with a rawhide mallet. Is there a bit of crown or camber on the ends of the top?

My wife loves it, but I pointed out your shop is at least five times bigger than mine and that slowed her down a little bit.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    Jeez Louise man. I should just sit on the floor of my shop and beat my toes with a rawhide mallet. Is there a bit of crown or camber on the ends of the top?

My wife loves it, but I pointed out your shop is at least five times bigger than mine and that slowed her down a little bit.

Thanks for the inspiration.
    Thanks much for the kind words.

Yes, the top is cambered on both ends, The top is (about) 20 inches wide and 61 inches long, and the camber is a radius of 57.5 inches which circumscribes an arc 7/8 inches below the end. The top was milled to 13/16ths and I also chamfered it on the underside. I cut the arc using a cross-cut tenon saw and faired it using a low-angle block plane and a spoke shave. These blades had to be razor sharp because the wenge is a bear to plane on end grain.

Yes, I am blessed with a large shop, the basement of our house which you can see is a walkout. We live in a wooded rural area of Oakland County, Michigan and bought this house when we retired some five years ago.

Beautiful work Joel. You packed a lot of woodworking into that 60 hrs! I really like that you went with a hardwood back, instead of plywood. That piece certainly deserved it.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher