Here in the Foothills of the Sierra given recent history and having our first of the season fire hazard warnings I’m thinking about ways to secure my hand tools, planes, chisels, measuring, etc. I have been considering building a C Schwartz wooden box but given our situation I thinking about how to secure them in the event of a fire, and we are squarely in the cross-hairs there. I’d appreciate any comments or suggestions on my idea. The suggestion to move is not happening as the kids and grands are here, so, so am I. Perhaps another couple months of smoke will convince them for the kids sake.
Our property is clean, clean from a fire prevention standpoint, in the building material choices (Hardi and Metal) as well, but I have seen buildings explode into flames with the actual flames well over 100’ away, just due to the heat of the storm. If the building goes it all goes. Last summer when we evacuated I parked the tractors out in the middle of the yard. There is nothing to burn out there. So my idea is to take a Knaack 36, put an axle and wheels on one end and wheelbarrows/hand cart it out of the shop into the yard with the hand tools in it. Pull the wheels and drop it. I will have to build it out to accommodate the tools and it will be heavy. The Knaack box itself is 96# and having broken into a number of them, that is another story, you have to have time and tools to do so. It would be below the brow of the hill so not in line of sight from the road. Risky, yes, but no more so than living here. This all assumes I have time to do the prep before bugging out. Any suggestions?
https://www.knaack.com/products/jobs...ChestSeries/36