Thread: Underbench Cabinet: Drawer #7

Underbench Cabinet: Drawer #7

Here is another drawer holding cutting and marking gauges.

This is a drawer intended to be dedicated to wooden mortice and cutting gauges, but does have two wheel gauges which could not be fitted elsewhere.

The mortices gauges fall into these three types ...

Veritas Dual Marking Gauge, Kinshiro, and one of my designs.

The Kinshiro is my absolute favourite, and I was gifted one several years ago (thanks Wiley!). Found another about a year back. They are no longer made by Kinshiro, and no longer available for purchase. I have made a number of single-blade cutting gauges in a similar manner to these double-blade gauges. The Kinshiro may be used as single blade gauges as well, plus one can set up a reversed blade as well, which is useful when paring shallow mortice walls, such as here!

The shopmade mortice gauge is in the style of Kinshiro, but uses a cassette to house double-sided blades to match a range of mortice and tenon widths ...

Here is the drawer ...

Bottom right is a cutting gauge from Colen Clenton. This was a prize in an Australian tool making competition in 2009.

The holders are made from Hard Maple ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 05-08-2021 at 10:27 AM.

Blog Entries
    Neat.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

And none of the marking points are touching the floor it looks like. This is quite time consuming, no?

Scott, construction and hand work is not difficult. Measuring and position, then fine tuning (none of which show) is very time consuming. No doubt, this is what Kaizen foam is popular!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Derek, elegant solution, beautifully executed as usual for you. Thanks for sharing your ideas and pictures. If my tools looked this well organized and neat in storage I meet be afraid to mess things up by actually using them! Cheers, Mike

Thanks Mike. The plan is to epoxy the drawers shut once the tools are in, and use the cabinet as a time capsule. I am still in the throws of composing the letter (to be sealed in the last drawer). Any suggestions?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Be sure to imply your Neandertal roots. That'll keep'm guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Thanks Mike. The plan is to epoxy the drawers shut once the tools are in, and use the cabinet as a time capsule. I am still in the throws of composing the letter (to be sealed in the last drawer). Any suggestions?
    Hmmmm, how 'bout.....

If found please send to Clifford McGuire, USA