Thread: Dismantling a 100 yr old Japanese house

Dismantling a 100 yr old Japanese house

Interesting short video showing the joinery used in the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_geUQSlnbQ
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Some nice joinery in that old place! Pretty amazing stuff. Thanks for posting.

I think the joinery is amazing. I've watched videos of Japanese houses being built with the same joinery. No nails, bolts or mechanical fasteners anywhere. Just wedges.

One day, when I grow up, I want to do this.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I think the joinery is amazing. I've watched videos of Japanese houses being built with the same joinery. No nails, bolts or mechanical fasteners anywhere. Just wedges.

One day, when I grow up, I want to do this.

Regards from Perth

Derek

you and me both, Derek. Someday.............

I wonder if that house is just being moved to be rebuilt? I was disappointed that I didn't see any signs they were marking those pieces to be put back together. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    I wonder if that house is just being moved to be rebuilt? I was disappointed that I didn't see any signs they were marking those pieces to be put back together. Thanks for sharing!

I wondered about that as well because the story is that it was being dismantled to be moved and restored at a new location. Maybe they just like a challenge.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting this Bill, it is interesting to see how the joinery goes together.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That is NOT joinery. Artistry is a far more accurate term.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Thanks for the link, Bill- very interesting. My son says he has been following the project on Instagram, so there is more to see for those interested.

10. Really great video and pretty humbling. Thanks for sharing.

Neat video, thanks.

Good timing too, as while cable surfing I recently came across a show that talked about Japanese "Moon Wood". It seems some timber there was/is harvested after a full moon (waning) as it is thought that the wood is more "stable" and more resistant to decay and insect damage. If I recall correctly part of it is related to less sap in the wood. Made me wonder if one of the reasons the joints in Bill's video held up so well is because the timbers had less seasonal movement.
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 05-09-2021 at 12:24 AM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Blog Entries
    Bill thanks so much for sharing this video! The complexity and precision of this joinery is nothing short of amazing! Airtight joints just perfectly friction fit after 92 years I am completely humbled! I'm struck by two thoughts:

How does this kind of design/build philosophy come about? When you consider how different it is from Western frame and stick construction but 22 by force together and shooting some nails it couldn't be more different.

Secondly, I give my left arm to spend six months learning from these guys. It probably take that long just to wrap my head around understanding that three-dimensional joinery they're doing.

Utterly incredible!