Thread: Pair of apple bowls

Pair of apple bowls

I was very excited that a friend cut down their old apple tree and was kind enough to give me the main logs. Beautiful wood, so I decided to take the day off and cut a chunk off and see what it looks like.
    These are just roughouts. One is 13" diameter and the other is 9". Hope they survive the drying.

20210507_181231.jpg
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Looking good. You last sentence says a lot with fruit wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Looking good. You last sentence says a lot with fruit wood.
    Yup....I agree. Apple especially loves to crack. I'm going to keep these two cool and stable and protect the sapwood since it seems to dry faster
    ~john

I got some Cherry Laurel after ice storm damage and have enjoyed turning it green. It turns so well with nice long shavings and smells so good. Problem is that about 80% crack so bad that the turning was only good practice. Sealing does not seem to help and turning thin produces a lot of warp and checks. But, one has to keep trying something a little different and hope for better results. This was early spring wood with lots of sap so hardly had a chance. Bark would peel off almost with fingers.

I’d still seal the end grains on those bowls until they are dry and you final turn them. Good luck. I can’t get Apple to stop splitting on me.

Nice color on those! I've always turned NE bowls to final thickness and let 'em go where they want, since NE bowls don't really look round to begin with. With continuous rim (is that the term for a "regular" bowl?) I twice turn them, as my anal retentive side wins in it's desire to have the bowl (look) perfectly circular.

I dry green bowls in paper bags, but with fruitwoods and add a coat of anchorseal. I actually do the whole bowl, not just the endgrain as I have seen bowls develop checks on the flat grain side once or twice. Not saying it's better, just something that seems to work for me.

Best,

Dave

Thanks guys....so far so good. I put some anchorseal on them so we'll see if that helps. I'm hoping the cool environment will also lend a hand
    ~john