Thread: Metal Chop Saw

Metal Chop Saw

I had to make some aluminum brackets for a bedroom cabinet and headboard I was making.

Came across this, bought it from Amazon ($161), and this was my first cut.

First bedroom project complete, bedside cabinets and headboard

I have the Evolution 14” chop saw. It is an excellent tool. Make sure when cutting that you let the blade stop before raising the blade. I lost a tooth on the 14” blade and think it may have been because I raised the blade while still spinning. For the cost of the blades, I wait now

The Bedroom looks great!!

My old, yardsale Enco metal cutting bandsaw was cheap, and is slow, but makes a pretty cut. It can also be converted into a vertical bandsaw. I don't use one often enough to need a good one. I also have a chopsaw, but it makes a mess, and I always feel like I need to wear a respirator.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    The Bedroom looks great!!

My old, yardsale Enco metal cutting bandsaw was cheap, and is slow, but makes a pretty cut. It can also be converted into a vertical bandsaw. I don't use one often enough to need a good one. I also have a chopsaw, but it makes a mess, and I always feel like I need to wear a respirator.

I've had the Grainger version of the same saw for almost forty years. Rescued a "no name" from dumpster, and gave it to my neighbor. Same saw, just a different color. Unfortunately, blades are no long five bucks each. Also have B&D Industrial (back when B&D made real tools) 14" cut off saw, which is seldom used. Too much mess.

Aluminum isn't a problem but when cutting steel let the blade do the work and avoid lots of sparks (means you're pushing too hard) or you'll dull the blade. I also have the 14"/15" Evolution and the only issue I had with it is there's a small plastic wheel that moves the blade guard that broke. I haven't gotten around to making a new one out of aluminum. Otherwise it's worked great for cutting steel.

Blog Entries
    For aluminum, any miter saw with a triple chip blade will do, but if I were fabbing steel, one of those would be in my arsenal. I have a 3 hp (240 Volt) 10" Kalamazoo chop saw which is designed for an abrasive blade, but it is outdated with the new style carbide chop saws. Still sees service though. Mainly the saw use with a 10" aluminum cutting blade. Hmm, maybe I ought to get a steel cutting blade and change the pulleys out to slow it down...
    NOW you tell me...

Nice saw for aluminum material. I use an abrasive cut-off saw for the iron stuff.
    But be careful when using an abrasive machine outside. I set the grass on fire in a small area one time so now I watch more closely and keep a garden hose close by.

Warning: Do not place your abrasive saw on the tailgate of a pickup and cut steel, unless you wish to pockmark your rear window with flying red hot metal.

That was a hard earned lesson.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.