Thread: Decorative air vents

Decorative air vents

I'm looking to make some decorative air vent covers. Openings are typically 10"x18", and I'd like them to work with Craftsman theme in the house. Has anybody found a source of ideas for wooden air vents? Labor-intensive, carved and similar solutions are welcome, as I see this as a craft outlet vs just something to cover up vent holes. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Josko Catipovic; 05-07-2021 at 11:21 AM.

2. I am interested also in this thread. Looking for ideas to vent a countertop induction unit above drawers and thought a decretive wooden grate of some type would be awesome.

Look into kumiko. It is a traditional Japanese technique for making striking grills.

Blog Entries
    There are wood varieties available in the big box stores, but I would advise caution about using them. Most seem to significantly reduce the open area which can limit the air that gets through, thus upsetting the air balance in your HVAC system.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Have you searched our archives? I know I have seen several CNC air vent drawings over the years but I can't remember if there were any uploaded here.

Take a look at the shutter jigs that Rockler sells. I got the fixed shutter set-up for making new shutters on the outside of my house. You can make any size you want and get good air flow. I plan to make one for the air return grill I currently have, which is currently a louvered metal contraption.