Thread: Is Acrylic best for things like router bases?

Is Acrylic best for things like router bases?

I want to make some specialty bases for my jig saw and routers.

Would Acrylic be the best or should I look at something else?

I prefer clear - but - I'm open to anything.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Polycarbonate is a better choice for a clear router base. It is much less likely to crack.

I use 1/4" corian or other solid surface material. It's not clear, but it is very durable.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

QUOTE=Lee Schierer;3119077]Polycarbonate is a better choice for a clear router base. It is much less likely to crack.[/QUOTE]

clear Cast acrylic is pretty tough stuff I think it would hold up ok.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Polycarbonate for sure. The trade names I've used are Lexan & Markolon. I know there are others.

I've had a 1/4" Plexiglas base on my router for a couple of years, the original black plastic or phenolic one was badly cracked when I got the router so I replaced it. It's not really clear enough to see through meaningfully, once it gets used a bit and the bottom gets scuffed, but it seems strong enough.

1/4 to 3/8 acrylic (plexiglass) should be tough enough to handle a reasonable fall to concrete. And it's a whole lot cheaper the lexan.

I went with plexi on a project to save some money. And tried shearing the blanks ... wound up laying it all out and bsndsawing them to avoid a 2 hour round trip back to my tablesaw.

Blog Entries
    I will agree that the base becomes foggy with use as a scratch pattern appears. For this reason clear is not as important as one might think. That being said all but one of my bases is clear but I don't find any value in being able to see through them . . . since they are more translucent that clear now. 3/8" plexi or polycarb both provide good service although I am not in the habit of dropping my routers
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    I use 1/4" corian or other solid surface material. It's not clear, but it is very durable.
    Where do you get corian?

There are some places on the net that sell shorts from cabinet shops but not sure about .25".

There is also a host of industrial plastics available from a lot of suppliers but either acrylic or impact modified acrylic which would be a bit more durable but it is probably overkill.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Where do you get corian?
    A kitchen and bath fabricator may have small solid surface (not necessarily Corian) cutoffs but 1/4" is not all that common. Acrylic or Polycarbonate is much easier to find. I use 3/8" because I sometimes make the center hole fit a Porter Cable bushing. I don't find 1/4" thick enough for the stepped hole. I also sometimes counterbore rather than countersink the mounting holes and 3/8" is better for that.

Phenolic is the slickest and gives the best control. Acrylic is ok. Polycarbonates have a drag to them because of the water in the plastic. That's also what makes that type of plastic so unbreakable. Its a trade-off. I've been making bases out of all sorts of plastics over the decades and they all work well enough.