Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minimax MM20 upper bearings

This is the best money I've spent on cheap, Chinese tools. I'd be rigging up a way to use a press, but have been known to use a big hammer with one of these dies, and the handle that can fit in it.

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Bearing-D...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I have used a hydraulic jack, under an 18,000 pound tractor, for something that wouldn't fit in the press.

edited to add: With that press die set, you can even put two on the handle. One that fits the bearing ID, and another for the pressing of the OD.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-07-2021 at 2:41 PM.

I bought the channlelock snap ring pliers with replaceable tips. Not noticeably less solid then a one piece pair for the size. Nice when i can grind a tip to fit and still use them with stock tips.
    I have to play with them every time I use them to remember how to switch from expand and contract when squeezed.
    Bill D.

https://channellock.com/product/rt-3/

Not that I'm that fimiliar with the Centauro's, but I have studied them as good as I could find on Google searches,
    seeing if I could match the design when rebuilding my saw.
    It appears the design is similar.
    I don't think you need to go near the plate which the bowden tension cable is attached to,
    nor need remove the screw or anything like that, TBH I was unaware that there was a spring for a long time!

(someone before me was at this saw, the parts weren't in the correct order, and it had a big fall at some point too, I learned a real hard lesson about removing a split pin that
    was damaged, don't ever try to get them out without a proper tool, made a rough punch with locating pin but it didn't cut the mustard, couldn't get it out after a lotta wallops with a big hammer.
    Testament to the casting that it didn't break!
    The other pin came out fine... for a split pin.
    Just fair warning if wanting to delve further!

Back to your query
    Should be a simple procedure.
    Still unaware of the best way to remove the bearings with a tool that will fit inside the inner race.
    Would love to get a term to search or link for the procedure.

Tom

SAM_4187.jpg SAM_4502.jpgSAM_4504.jpg

Regarding heating bearings, my go to method for years has been to put them on top of a 60 watt incandescent light bulb for a couple of minutes on each side, until they are just too hot to handle.

I'll be watching this thread because I have a 4 year old MM20 with a 1" Woodmaster CT that I never de-tension......I hope Brian takes lots of pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    The number is 6207-2RS i
    decided to get the Abec 3 version which is rated for higher stress since I run a carbide blade all the time. The current set lasted about five years, which seems a bit low to me.
    Do you keep your blade under tension all the time, or most of the time?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Tom, sounds like the upper wheel mount can be spun off and removed from the top. It looks to be the case on mine, I’ll find out soon.
    E
    My saw’s wheels have no access points for a standard puller so I have assumed there to be another method of removal.

Seems you all are bound and determined to discuss snap ring pliers, so here:

AC5235F8-13F0-42F8-A25F-BF25408586BC.jpg
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    I never de-tension, I assume the bearings have died because of the level of tension rather than the fact that it is constant.

Your relative percentages of Knipex, and Klein, look very similar to mine.

I have used a slide hammer for bearings that can only be pulled from the inside. Search Pilot bearing puller .

Speaking of retaining ring pliers, I had to get a pair of these to get the external retaining ring off the King Pin in one of the tractors front ends: https://www.ebay.com/itm/25470971931...IAAOSwaS9fUp-C
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-07-2021 at 3:55 PM.

Thanks Tom, good to know the tool for the job

I never de-tension, I assume the bearings have died because of the level of tension rather than the fact that it is constant.
    Thank you! I'm interested because I own the same saw, about 3 1//2 years old.
    Looking forward to hearing how the replacement operation goes. Wishing you smooth sailing.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 05-07-2021 at 9:27 PM.

E, My saw’s wheels have no access points for a standard puller so I have assumed there to be another method of removal…
    Brian, I am sure that I used a large 3-jaw puller to remove those flywheels. It was a large puller and you inverted the jaws to go through the cutouts in the flywheel.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

If my slide hammer puller is too big, I drive them out with a punch, they’re going in the garbage...Rod

On closer inspection with problem in mind referring to my comment about the SKF bearings, it appears that it does seem a bit loose on the shaft!
    I'm thinking I might see if a pair of the original Koyo's might be put back to use.

With this in mind that they might be toast, I am eager to know if Erik can remember which brand bearings were a tight fit to get onto the shaft?

So glad I read this, Brian, I'd see if your wheel slides off easily without need for taking the carriage assembly off, or spin the wheel without a blade
    and listen for anything.
    If so, might be worth seeing if Erik can recall a good brand.

Thanks
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 05-08-2021 at 6:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    On closer inspection with problem in mind referring to my comment about the SKF bearings, it appears that it does seem a bit loose on the shaft!
    I'm thinking I might see if a pair of the original Koyo's might be put back to use.

With this in mind that they might be toast, I am eager to know if Erik can remember which brand bearings were a tight fit to get onto the shaft?

So glad I read this, Brian, I'd see if your wheel slides off easily without need for taking the carriage assembly off, or spin the wheel without a blade
    and listen for anything.
    If so, might be worth seeing if Erik can recall a good brand.

Thanks
    Tom
    Tom, I honestly never checked. One time I looked (brand new machine) and the bearings were made in Korea! I’m sure Centauro sourced out bearings from any number of different vendors over the life of those machines.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    The original bearings are not impressing me much, they look
    like a low cost choice. One was crunchy was just plain worn and spins loose.

I sourced SKF explorer, to replace them.

I had suspected the wheel assembly could be removed, I was correct about this. I drifted out the pin holding on the hand wheel along with a few bolts in the upper part of the assembly. After this I was able to lift out the wheel.

31B144AD-1939-42B1-92BB-D16E2571BB0B.jpg

66206F07-FA04-4D4F-9D62-C8A3FE1633FE.jpg

Pressed out the old bearings. Pressed in the new.

I plan to clean and reapply grease. One thing I think SCM could really improve upon here is the dust collection. This saw is constantly loaded with dust after any resawing.

I think I’ll do the bottom wheel also given the quality of the original bearings leaves much to be desired in my opinion. This is a higher quality saw and they can’t spare $20 for higher quality bearings? The Ulmia, Maka, Wadkin and Omga machines I have are all top quality parts soup to nuts.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 05-09-2021 at 1:30 PM.