Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Stanley Block Plane

Old Stanley Block Plane

I found this old Stanley plane in a former printing shop I purchased. Anyone have an idea of the age? The only markings are on the front (Stanley in 2 places and Pat 2-18-13). The blade looks like it has been sharpened many times! The printing shop was built in 1926 and had been in continuous use until last year.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    The knuckle joint lever cap patent places it between 1913 and 1930. The V logo was used between 1910 and 1920.

It looks like a #18.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Probably a #18 (standard) or a #65 (Low Angle). I can't tell from the photos. I've had multiples of both and they're good users. I think it's about time for a new blade.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Thanks! So it's possible that this plane was used putting up the original building in the mid-1920s. Which makes a nice story - although it just as possible someone lost it during renovations in the next 50 years. Based on the blade wear, it wasn't exactly new when it was lost.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
    Thanks! So it's possible that this plane was used putting up the original building in the mid-1920s. Which makes a nice story - although it just as possible someone lost it during renovations in the next 50 years. Based on the blade wear, it wasn't exactly new when it was lost.
    Jim, can you post a side view so we can tell if it is a low angle or a high angle?

To me one image looks like a high angle. That could be the angle from which the photo was taken.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Looks like there's not much life left in that iron. All my block planes are old Stanley's, even the ones I bought new. I've never seen, in person, an iron that short. I expect most have been discarded, or repurposed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Looks like there's not much life left in that iron. All my block planes are old Stanley's, even the ones I bought new. I've never seen, in person, an iron that short. I expect most have been discarded, or repurposed.
    It looks like someone cut out the adjustment section to get a touch more use out of the iron.

jtk

Yes, I had figured it had a very frugal owner.

Plane side view 2.JPGPlane side view.JPG
    Here's a shot from each side

Regular, not low angle. Looks like a very useable block plane now. I'd advise not to get a Hock iron for it, only because the square end kind of defeats the comfortable handle those have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It looks like someone cut out the adjustment section to get a touch more use out of the iron.

jtk
    It took me a while to notice how it had been modified to get the most use out of that iron. I saw it while I was contemplating how long it would take me to get the blade square again. Am I going to have trouble finding a new iron that will work in this plane? Or do I have to buy vintage?

There are multiple manufacturers that make replacements. There are really only two variations. Ones for newer block planes, which are not the ones you need, have fewer, and larger adjustment mesh slots. I believe LV makes them, as well.

edited to add link: Not sure if the angled top will stick out past the cap handle. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...ade-by-veritas

This shows the kind of adjustment slots that won't work with your plane: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-12-50.../dp/B00009OYFT
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-07-2021 at 4:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
    Plane side view 2.JPGPlane side view.JPG
    Here's a shot from each side
    Like Tom posted, regular angle, it is likely a #18 > http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan3.htm#num18

jtk

Tom, thanks for your help! I’m only a hand tool wannabe, so you are probably saving me a lot of time searching and making mistakes.

The old print shop where I found this plane is eventually going to be my new wood shop. So it will be nice to actually use this plane while working in the shop.