Thread: Fun with Telemarketers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    We never answer our land line, just let answering machine pick it up. BIL has a message in which he says "hello," followed by a pause. Amazing how many will talk till beep shuts them off. Back last year, I opened an Amazon CC just to get discount ($100) on purchase. Established a one thousand dollar credit limit, as I seldom buy from Amazon. Kids have prime accounts, so if I need something, I get them to order it. Weekly, I get calls telling me that a purchase which far exceeds my credit limit has been posted to my account, and I need to call then back at XXX-XXX-XXXX. Also get one telling me I can get a 50% discount on my Direct TV bill, just by calling the number shown on my caller ID, which we don't have. Notice, caller didn't say call Direct at their listed business number. Tried that, but didn't get 50% discount, though I did get a 10% discount for a year. As for warranty, I play them along for a few moment till I say, "I'm sorry, I meant 1988, instead of 2018." Click!

Older cars the odometer only went to 1,000 mile so I can tell then I have a 09 Hupmobile inherited from my mom and the odometer is under 10,000 miles.
    Bill D

Wink

I've played some of those games in the past but my time is worth more than that and there's a real risk of being recorded saying something that can be edited to make it sound like you agreed to something you really don't want to agree to. And some of those callers are computerized. You'd be surprised how well a computer can hold a conversation with you and then wouldn't you feel silly?

My procedure:
    I ignore the caller ID although I might proceed more gently if it looks legitimate.
    Pick up the phone. If the voice is already talking I hang up.
    Say "Hello". If I don't hear an appropriate response in about one second, I hang up. If I hear background voices, electronic sounds, a "click" like a line is being transferred I hang up.
    If I hear "Is this Alan" or "Is [my wife's name] there?" I never say "Yes". I say "Who's calling?"
    If I don't get an answer I like I hang up.
    If it sounds like a legitimate fund-raising or survey call I say "I can't help you" and hang up.
    The few times it's actually someone I want to talk to I apologize for being so abrupt and proceed from there.
    Last edited by Alan Rutherford; 05-07-2021 at 2:10 PM.