Thread: Sharpening Tips Please

Sharpening Tips Please

I read somewhere that you need to sharpen your Hollow Mortise Chisels when you first buy them. I read that after I used my first couple of bits (they didn't seem dull ) but I have just bought 2 more bits and thought I should handle them right this time. They are Delta Chisel and Bits sets - $50 each - they seem very sharp. My question - do I have to sharpen/hone these or are these ones OK right out of the box. If so, what is your preferred method of sharpening? Thanks in advance.

Shelly I have used the same set of Delta chisels for over 10 years and the only thing I have ever done to them is lap then on the outside with the scarysharp set up. I just bought a new shop fox set and they seem fine rite out of the box but if I ever need to blow a few dollars I will buy the cone sharpener that Lee Valley offers to sharpen them. Bottom line is just go put your mortiser to work and have fun.

I saw something on sharpening these a few years ago. Something about using a cone shaped stone that goes in the drill press. I agree with Ralph, they are good out of the box. Only recommendation I have is to be sure to leave enough space between the bit and the chisel for chip clearing. I initially didn't and burned up and broke the drill bits before I figured it out.

every hundred or so mortises i`ll take a file to the leading edge of the auger and if i`m feeling really ambitious i might hit the outside of the chisel on the leather buffer. if you just want to grind the inside hit the auto parts store they sell 1/4 shank mounted points for a buck....02 tod

I own a sharpening service and have seen chisels right out of the box that needed to be sharpened. As Ralph said, there is a cone shaped grinding wheel that does a nice job. It dosen't take alot of grinding to get them sharp. When the chisel starts to lose it's edge you will have to use more force to cut your mortises. How long it will keep it's edge depends on the type of wood you are cutting. Hope this helps.
    Keith

Actually, it was while I was surfing Lee Valleys website this morning and checking out "What's New" when I came upon their chisel sets and these. For the pair they want $22.50. (Canadian $).... I am real glad to hear that sharpening before use is not a necessity with these bits......I hate sharpening .

Shelley, I have had the need to sharpen these bits a few times, and what you show from Lee Valley is what did the trick. Although you can cut a lot of mortise's before they need to be sharpened, it is amazing how much better they work if you take the time to touch 'em up a bit. You are on the right track, you have gotten some very good suggestions already.

I bought a Delta mortiser last year and started to use it right out of the box. I thought things were going just fine. I was using it in red oak for a mission style project. I was told, by a co-worker, that if I sharpened them, it would make the work so much easier. I went home and sharpened the 1/2" bit that I had been working with...boy what a difference. It doesn't take too long to get a good sharp edge on these things. My suggestion would be to take a few minutes and at least do the one that you use the most.

I've had a set of the Lee Valley cones for about 3 yrs. that I use on my Jet. They're quick, and they work good.