Thread: Tykma Lasergear or Jimani Users in here?

Tykma Lasergear or Jimani Users in here?

Hey guys and gals. I am about to bite the bullet on a fiber. I don't have the budget for the top-end American made machines because I'm still paying on my Epilog but I am willing to pay for better scanheads, software and American customer support. I was just about to purchase the Jimani low-cost hybrid 60w... Until Tykma called and wants to work out a deal on their LaserGear 60w. I have attempted research for well over a year but other than specs found online (they both use JPT source MOPA lasers) and sales calls, I can't find any good "real world" experiences from people with these models. So does anyone have experience with the Jimani or Lasergear entry level models? Jimani uses Prolase software and Tykma uses their own Minilase software. (Which *May* be a glorified ezcad but I don't know for sure). I would have to travel signifcantly to either company to compare in person and I'd rather save that money and childcare requests for travel to training after purchase (which both companies say is free with purchase). I have loved talking with Jim thus far and a part of me wants to go with Jimani just off of those conversations, alone, but Tykma offers 24/7 tech support and TBH, I am a bit afraid of Jim retiring and support not being the same after. I'm not looking for a comparison... Just any real-world user experiences on hardware, software or support, good or bad, from anyone that actually runs one of these before I make my decision.

I have done research but I am definitely still feel like I don't know anything, so if someone knows of a glaringly obvious difference in specs between the setups please let me know.. sometimes these numbers all blur together after you stare at them long enough. I learn best with the machine right in front of me when I can just dive in.. Internet research sometimes just kills me. If you guys haven't realized yet.. I can't help but ramble sometimes so if you are still with me.. thank you.

What kind of money are they talking? If it's 5 figures that begin with a 3 or a 4, you might consider expanding your search, to Gravograph, Trotec, Keyence, etc... If not quite that spendy, then, ?

--I have several customers who have their own fibers, when they break down, they bring me work while their machines are being fixed. One customer recently told me of his woes, his machine, a $40k-ish top-brand, was on its second breakdown. They receive top notch service to be sure, but the warranty was up, and his repair was going to cost over half the original price of the machine because <ahem>to fix it they had to upgrade the hardware and software because the old stuff was obsolete and no longer available... Just my opinion, but this what one must beware/be aware of when buying 'top-tier' machines like these; these companies manufacture themselves the parts and software 'budget' companies buy off-the-shelf, which is a good thing, but it makes their machines proprietary, and if they decide to age-out their hardware and software, you're forced to pay for their upgrades if your machine breaks down after an upgrade.

For large companies that have the need and budget for such machines, that's all fine and dandy. But people like us who are essentially small businesses, it's hard to afford or justify the high costs. Even if I wasn't mechanically inclined (thankfully), the simple math still tells me that if one of my $3400 'Dixie Cup' machines breaks down, it would still be cheaper in the long run to actually pay to fly a laser mechanic here to fix the thing, or even better, just buy another one, it'll be here in 3 days

(a note on paying-to-fly-in-a-mechanic- that's actually a necessity with many top-tier companies when you need non-warranty work, unless you buy into an insurance program...)

For what it's worth, for just the cost of my customer's second repair, I could buy SEVEN more of the Ebay machines I have, and they were very happy with the parts I engraved with them...

sorry this isn't much help with your question...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    One of the posters here had bought a Tykma in I think 2019. It was pretty new, but second hand. There was an issue with the image being engraved either mirrored or 180 degrees out of phase. He had a lot of issues with Tykma helping him as he wasn't original owner and I guess the warranty didn't transfer.
    Now I'm close to the same thoughts as Kev.
    I purchased my 20 watt fiber from Ray fine and imported direct over 4 years ago. Not an issue with it at all, JPT source and it runs like a champ. I recently bought a 60 watt with the same JPT source from ebay seller, was a manufacturer in China. I needed it fast, and they supposedly had US stock. Well they didn't, but they did ship quickly from China, and other than a week sitting in DHL's warehouse in Cincinnati after clearing customs, things were fine. I pushed it hard in January to March and the source failed. I was able to contact the same representative and she and their tech sent me a replacement source and power supply as they weren't sure if power supply was at fault too. Cost me $215 to ship the faulty source to china. And it is back up and running. Less than $5600 including the $215 for that laser. And I paid for it before it failed.
    SFX was seller, either on ebay or Amazon or direct off their website.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

So I KNOW I made a long, thoughtful reply to your comments. My apologies, I guess it didn’t post. Thank you gentlemen. I really appreciate your insights and they were very helpful. Ken, I never thought of the after-market parts and ability to buy them cheaper vs some proprietary part. I don’t mind paying a premium for quality and ongoing support, but I don’t need to spend ridiculous amounts of markup just for the sake of who is retailing parts. One was on the low end of your guesses so that is why I had basically written them off before they called. If I was willing to do that I would have just sucked it up and bought a Trotec. I was hoping to stay in the high teens. I appreciate hands-on learning and state-side support and I am willing to pay a few thousand for that because I don’t have the time to tinker for hours with this machine. There will be enough of a learning curve even WITH some initial training.

I do appreciate the responses and hopefully I’ll need a second fiber one day (or end up with as many as Kev) and feel confident enough in myself to buy direct.

Don’t know if you’ve made a decision yet but I can’t say enough good things about Jim Earman and Jimani Lasers. They go above and beyond in helping their customers whether it’s the hardware or the software or some issue you have getting a file cleaned up to burn. They have all my future business.
    IPG YLP 50W Class IV Fiber
    -Scan Lab ScanCube 10 Galvo
    -ScanLab RTC4
    -Linos 160mm
    -Sherline Rotary Axis
    -ProLase10 Software w/Motion

MiniTech II CNC
    -NSK Astro e400 40k RPM Spinde
    -Sherline Rotary Axis
    -OneCNC XR6 Software

Hurco VM1 VMC
    -WinMax