Thread: Hawk 214 Scroll Saw Blade replacement and overall settup.

Hawk 214 Scroll Saw Blade replacement and overall settup.

Newbie Member here, asking for some help installing a new blade in my "saved from the garbage truck" Hawk 214 scroll saw. Does anyone have one and if so, I'd appreciate connecting with you. I'm struggling with this and there has to be an easier way! Thanks in advance!

Gary,

The following may or may not help, but here goes. I have an 18" Excalibur, which is a sterling piece of equipment, although I don't use it much. It came to me several years ago with stock blade "keepers". They've always been the major PITA in my enjoyment of the saw. They were hit or miss. If you got it right futzing with little set screws, the saw was darn near perfect. If you misaligned anything while your head was under the table with (usually) inadequate light, you would have to repeat the installation, sometimes with a second replacement blade because the failed caper lunched the first one. So I was bummed out after about every third blade change, which didn't contribute to a satisfying experience.

I heard a rumor about a year ago that Pegas (the blade people) had newly designed keepers that were the cat's meow and were available to fit a bunch of the better scroll saws. I'm a pigeon for presumed miracles like this, and I'm often disappointed, but they had me at "newly designed keepers" and "cat's meow". I paid and they arrived promptly. They're nicely machined and finished, and they installed in about a half hour without requiring modification. Most of that time was spent rereading the decently done manual then undoing my incorrect moves that were based on incorrect assumptions I made because I didn't read it in the first place.

It's still early days because I don't do much scroll sawing, but I'm damned if they don't seem to solve all the problems! Blades are dead easy to change, and hard to screw up. The cams work as they should, and the keepers have yet to let go inadvertently. Check them out. They're reasonably priced for whey they do, and they've probably kept me from selling the saw.

dp

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Miklavic View Post
    Newbie Member here, asking for some help installing a new blade in my "saved from the garbage truck" Hawk 214 scroll saw. Does anyone have one and if so, I'd appreciate connecting with you. I'm struggling with this and there has to be an easier way! Thanks in advance!
    I have a hawk. Nice scroll saw. Never thought the blades were all that hard to get in. I think the newer models have better thumb screws, and I believe the improved thumbscrews can also be ordered to retrofit. I haven't found a need. Just follow the instructions. Good lighting helps.

I buy my blades from Mikesworkshop.com. I store them in a rack I made to hold the big plastic test tubes, which I got from stevespanglerscience.com