Thread: Have to take things easy, for a while....so..

Have to take things easy, for a while....so..

Watchman Surgery this coming Friday.....hole in the leg will need to heal up a bit....no driving around, nothing over 10 pounds in weight, that sort of thing...so..
    Two Saws, too wide.JPG
    I have Mr Wentworth to entertain for a while.....saws don't weigh a whole lot. This one is a tad too much plate....bought a few NEW files...
    Two Saws, New Files, old file.JPG
    To replace the old worn out one....
    Two Saws, Wentworth ready.JPG
    Saw Bench height is just under my armpit....don't have to bend over.
    Two Saws, extra light.JPG
    Have plenty of extra light available...
    Two Saws, first pass done....JPG
    have already completed one pass on this 5-1/2 ppi Rip saw, will flip it around, and go back the other way...have a second saw waiting it's turn..
    Two Saws, Waiting its turn.JPG
    Both are D( no hyphen)8s.....about the same age...
    Two Saws, Handle details.JPG

Figured I could "warm up" doing the Rip saw first, and work out any kinks in the process...

Wentworth is a No.1, BTW....

Should take long enough, until I am cleared to work on other things....

Stay tuned...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I had to look up Watchman surgery, to see what it is. Wishing you the Best of luck!!

Some people like to file ripsaws from the same side, regardless of which way the teeth are set. I have always filed them from both sides, as you are doing. Not arguing that one way is better than the other, but it's no big deal for me to turn the saw around.

Steven, We are wishing you a record setting recovery. We know you like to stay busy, but don’t try to help the Docs, leave your tools at home!

You got this Steve. Just be honest with them about whether you smoke or not, what drugs (Rx and not Rx) you really take and relax. Should be fine. I had one patient I was about to sedate in 16 years of experience tell me he didn't actually like cocaine, he just liked the smell of cocaine. If the person knocking you out for this knows the truth they can deal with it.

I do my rip saws every other tooth from one side and then flip for the other half at my place too. Good job finding a way to stay in the shop inside your restrictions. Look forward to hearing what tooth shape you like on a crosscut up around 10-11-12 tpi for hardwood.

Return trip on the Rip saw is done...
    Two Saws, Rip teeth done.JPG
    And THAT Disston D8 has been put away..
    Two Saws, Rip saw done.JPG
    The other saw is a Disston D-112, 7 ppi crosscut. That cuts Ash like warm butter..

Which means the Other D8 is loaded into the saw vise..
    Two Saws, Cross cut ready.JPG
    handle is getting in the way.....tried a file for a little bit....was too much "Cows & Calves"....put that file aside..
    Two Saws, jointed.JPG
    And use this file to joint things even....THEN...next time I can get to the shop, I can try to file the teeth.....

8 ppi is pushing the limits on how small the teeth can be, for me to see them.....Seems to be plenty of set in the teeth, right now..

No...I am not about to file off all the teeth, and cut all new ones.....Nor am I about to change the tooth count....already have a 10 and 11ppi crosscut.....and have no need to go any finer than that.

IF someone WANTS a saw that long, with that many teeth.....then they should just go out and buy one for themselves....I tend to keep things at K.I.S.S., and not over-think things....

I prefer these old handles.....once you grab a hold of one of these, you are hard-pressed to set it back down......handle has been shaped by someone that knows how a handle should fit and feel in your hand. Usually with enough age on the handle, worn by use, to make it even better. These were meant to be used all day long, every day.....

Steven,

Be sure to take it fairly easy and follow the Doctors instructions well, so you can get back into the shop sooner, and safer. I also said a quick prayer for the surgery.

I am in agreement with you on the saw handles. My first handsaw, that I bought roughly some 50 years ago, was the older style D-8 that was made somewhere between 1900 and 1917, has a wonderful handle that fits the hand beautifully. I do have some from the 1930s, I think, that the handle is somewhat more "squarish" but are not to bad to use.

However, some of the saws made after about 1950 or so, seem to have handles that are true abominations. It's hard to believe that any company would intentionally make such pieces for trash. They need to issue them with a warranty something like "guaranteed to raise at least one blister within a half hour of use, or your money back. However, if the handles is so uncomfortable that you can't use it for more than a half hour at a time, the warranty will be void if you thus fail to use it for at least 1/2 hour."

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 05-06-2021 at 8:13 PM.

Got back home last night....quite sore, really. Have a LONG list of things I am not allowed to do, for a while.....

Thanks for the Well Wishes.....afraid going down the stairs TO the shop is also on that list.

One of the things I do when out on a Rust Hunt....is to actually pick a saw up, and see how the handle feels and looks. I also make sure all the bolts are there, that are supposed to be with that saw. Then sight down the tooth line, looking for any kinkiness going on......and, any missing teeth.

Update: This Friday, most of the restrictions will end....currently have ~15 bft of fancy Ash 1 x 6s, that need a project......

Will see about a couple better saw files, this weekend. Then I can get that D8 done....and hung up.

Right now, Birthday plans for this coming Saturday.....a trip to Harmony,OH to visit Heart of Ohio Antique Center.....for a day.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 05-12-2021 at 11:43 AM.

Glad it all went well and recovery is quick enough to get you back in the shop and out and about. Enjoy the trip to the Antique Center, and happy birthday!

Good to see you are feeling better Steven, and hope the implant helps. Looks like quite a procedure. Happy Birthday.

Thanks. Will see about getting that D8 finished up....then start up a Table Build.....15bft of Ash..to make a table for the New Gazebo....

Stay tuned...

All the best Steven. Hoping the implant fixes your ills. Pace yourself
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.