Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nichrome wire source

Nichrome wire source

I'm starting to learn to do some pyrography on my turnings and want to make a couple tips for my burning pens. I'm not sure if all nichrome wire is the same. What is a good source for nichrome wire? I've found sources for short pieces, but would prefer to purchase a small roll.

Thanks,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McClurg View Post
    I'm starting to learn to do some pyrography on my turnings and want to make a couple tips for my burning pens. I'm not sure if all nichrome wire is the same. What is a good source for nichrome wire? I've found sources for short pieces, but would prefer to purchase a small roll.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Greg,

Unless you thin the tip by hammering and filing the wire gauge depends on the power supply used. I bought a bunch in different gauges from Graeme Priddle and Melissa. His email address is on this page about woodburning. http://graemepriddle.com/?page_id=466

Note, they often use larger gauge wire and higher currents and often do what might be called deep texturing or sculpturing rather than fine line drawing although they are experts at both. I'll bet he would sell you a sample pack of various gauges.

If you measure the wire you are using now for your tips you can also order rolls from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nichrome+wire

JKJ

I bought my burning wire on ebay. Actually, I bought "Kanthal"(A1) because it has it is a bit more sturdy, it can take more heat, and a lot of people find it easier to wrap or bend because it stays in place better. I bought 20 gauge. For making narrow lines, I hammer the tip (as JKJ said) and file it a bit. I have not yet worn out or broken a tip.

I had a commercial wood burner but I disliked that the burning tip was 2 or 2-1/2" from where I gripped it. It felt like trying to write with a pen and holding it in the middle rather than the end. I wanted to have less overhang so that it was easier to control. So I made a couple home-made burners and tips. They work pretty well but they get warm over time. I think that if I was using, say 18 gauge Kanthal, and narrowed the tip by quite a bit, that it would centralize the heat at the tip and have less heat by my fingers. But right now, I still have about 98 feet left of the 20 gauge. Perhaps I should try wearing a rubber glove. I have an experiment planned where I will use an aquarium pump to inject a small amount of air into the handle (similar to what is sometimes done on TIG welders) to cool it a bit. It may also help to disperse some smoke.

I got mine from mcmaster-carr. Three sizes on spools. A "lifetime" supply. Smaller gauges work best.

Tom Lucas, do you recall the gauge wire that you're referring to as working best??

I'm using 20 ga., which translates into about 0.032"

Thanks everyone. I am looking for 20 gauge to start with, and I'm using a Razertip woodburner. I may get some 18 gauge also.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Tom Lucas, do you recall the gauge wire that you're referring to as working best??

I'm using 20 ga., which translates into about 0.032"
    I'll have to check tomorrow when I go out into the shop.

Any local vape shop should have some reels.

Not sure what the properties are that are required but I mostly use ni-chrome I got at Amazon but I read somewhere that one could use a paperclip. I tried it with my burner and it worked fine but I admit I did not use it for hours on end and I usually burn quite low and slow.
    The first burning I did was about 40 years ago on wood decoys and at that time I made my own burner and pens and used the heater wire from an old electric heater for the tips.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

eBay is the best source I've found. Usually comes in 10' rolls. That's a LOT of tips!

We use stainless steel safety wire hooked to a variac transformer for cutting foam. I haven't tried it in really short lengths for tips, but it really works good as a 40 inch long foam cutter.

Sorry late getting back with an answer. I have 16, 18, and 20 gauge nichrome. The 18 seems about right for fine line tools. The 20 is too fine. I think the 16 is best to be hammered and shaped for shaders. The bigger wire takes more energy to heat but works best with screw terminal type pen holders.

Tom Lucas: thanks for your feedback. I'm just a beginner and haven't tried doing shading (yet). I'm using 20 ga. Kanthal which is similar to nichrome but may have a slightly longer life.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Tom Lucas: thanks for your feedback. I'm just a beginner and haven't tried doing shading (yet). I'm using 20 ga. Kanthal which is similar to nichrome but may have a slightly longer life.
    Unless burning every day for hours with the same tip, I don't think lifespan is an issue. They last a long long time, even when thinned down. I haven't had one fail yet. Though I don't burn a whole lot.