Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Advice - Benchtop Belt Sander

Looking for Advice - Benchtop Belt Sander

My Delta 4” x 36” belt sander recently gave up the ghost. It served me faithfully for 15 + years. Can anyone offer a recommendation for a replacement? I use this tool to profile the bottoms of turkey box call paddles. The sander needs to be powerful enough so that it doesn’t bog down. Thanks for the input.

I have had the Makita 9404 for a long time. It is a beast.

I have the Porter-Cable PCB420SA 4x36 sanding station and can't recommend it. It has plenty of power but the platforms are junk and the dust collection port is square... so in the absence of an adapter you're limited to the little bag. And changing belts requires removing a plastic guard held on by two screws, weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Larnerd View Post
    My Delta 4” x 36” belt sander recently gave up the ghost. It served me faithfully for 15 + years. Can anyone offer a recommendation for a replacement? I use this tool to profile the bottoms of turkey box call paddles. The sander needs to be powerful enough so that it doesn’t bog down. Thanks for the input.
    You want a portable, hand-held belt sander or a standalone sander on a stand? For small things I assume you want the latter - I use two Rikons belt disk sanders, the largest with a 6" belt and 10" disk for wood and plenty powerful, a smaller but similar Rikon belt/disk for metals, and a little Delta with a 1" belt and smaller disk.

JKJ

This is good to know. Thanks, David.

Hi, John. I’m looking for a benchtop model, not hand-held.

Hi, Cary. I’ll check that out. Thank you for your input.

I guess I read it wrong. the 9404 is a handheld

I have the same Porter Cable unit that David has. I agree completely with his assessment about the platforms, although I was able to tweak mine a bit to make them stable and square. Mine came with and adaptor that allows it to work with my dust collection system. It's basically a so-so unit but it gets the job done. The thing is, it's less than $300. And for that price I would say it is a decent value. "Better" units like some of the Jets cost 3X that, and don't seem to get any better reviews. The Powermatic is well liked but it's $1500. One possible brand to explore is USA made Kalamazoo for about $750. They have a bunch with narrow belts but this one comes with a 4" belt. Not a lot of reviews out there, but I found some experienced people e-chatting about them online somewhere and saying positive things. Bottom line: unless you use yours A LOT, you might be content with the Porter Cable. I am -- it's not my favorite or best tool, but it gets the job done well (after my tuning) and since I don't use it all the time, I feel it is good value.

If I was looking for a benchtop unit I think I would take a look at one of the oscillating combination belt/ spindle sander. That's assuming that you don't need the disc sander too. I have no clue about the power since I've never used one though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    If I was looking for a benchtop unit I think I would take a look at one of the oscillating combination belt/ spindle sander. That's assuming that you don't need the disc sander too. I have no clue about the power since I've never used one though.
    I have one of the Rigid combos and it works well for me. Triton/Grizzly/WEN/Harbor Freight all have a different version that appear to be clones out of the same factory. From a value/utility perspective, I'd be hard-pressed to find something better.

I have the Ridgid also - but - like so much other stuff right now, it appears to be made of Unobtainium.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Larnerd View Post
    Hi, John. I’m looking for a benchtop model, not hand-held.
    The Ridgid oscillating belt sander is great if you don't need a disk as well. I've had one for a couple of decades.

JKJ

I have the Ridgid as well. It has been all I've needed. Mine is at least 15 yrs. old so I can't speak for the newer models.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I can't comment on it yet but I bought the Wen unit that looks like the Rigid today. I looked for the Rigid but.... I have had pretty good luck with other Wen tools and I got it from Amazon so returning it will be easy, if that is necessary. It only pulls 3.5 amps so I am not sure how it will do but I'll give it a try. I'm working on some chairs and need a stationary sander to sand the curved parts.