Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The deafening silence. . .

Thanks again to all that chimed in on the conversation, was nice to have something to read about! Sounds like outdoor activities are consuming a lot of folks' time. I've learned to never ask John Jordan what he's doing because the answer will exhaust me just reading it (and thanks so much for your kind offer John, but 5 horses is quite enough).

Paul, those goblets are cool; I've seen something similar done in paper with a duplicate profiles in black paper opposing each other over a white background, but never turned in the round. I realize you showed the actual profiles to show how you did it, but I think the image you posted is really neat with the pictures and the goblets and the sinuous gap between them. If you had pictures without the layout lines, it would be cool to somehow display the goblets with the pictures.

John, curious about your apple logs. I love turning apple but every time I've gotten a big apple log it's been a disappointment in that (at least in our area) the big ones are full of grain separations and other structural issues that cause a lot of serious cracking during drying, as well as bugs, rot, and other issues. I usually end up pitching about a third of my apple roughs after drying, patching up a third with epoxy and/or CA, and a third or so survive intact, though I am rarely able to get bowls as big as I am imagining when I see the log from the outside. Have you had better luck? I persist with apple because it is often so striking. Pic below is one of the apple bowls that survived to completion. Had a couple small pith checks that I left in to keep more depth in the bowl. But I love the weaving lines across the endgrain, reminiscent of ziricote. It's about 10".

Scott, you are right about the potential for making the cutoffs from the ebony chunk into knife scales and pen blanks. I was thinking maybe small endgrain knobs too. I sometimes get tied up trying to balance getting the "best" out of a blank versus getting the "most" out of a blank. I haven't ever made pens, but I have a good friend that does.

David, I don't know if I have it in me to go that bold (bright colored fill in the ebony crack), but you might push me over the edge. A couple years ago I bought a palette of powdered mica for just that purpose and I haven't worked up the courage to use it. But a bright blue powdered mica fill. . .that might be cool. Actually, since the blank is a little over 6" long, I could cut the blank in half lengthwise, then cut the half with the split in half again, and try two different fills.

Best,

Dave

Capture68.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Wow Jim -- you've definitely got a creative bent that I lack, lots of cool stuff there. But just for me personally, I'm an "all about the wood" guy and this piece of curly box elder (I assume that's what it is) is just jaw dropping. "Wow" is all I got for that. . .that's an unbelievable piece of wood, and your design took full advantage of it. I'm saving that pic.

Dave

All of the forums seem to have less traffic this time of year. However, traffic on SMC seems to have gone down ever since they applied the yearly fee to support the site. As far as I know, this is the only forum that does that. Don't know if that is part of the reason or not.

robo hippy

Dave,
    Glad you like the box Elder. It is/was a beautiful piece of wood. Got more I'm planning to get to soon.
    I respect the "mostly wood" view, but do think that in the end.....it's all work created on the lathe. Just like square work and round/curved work.....furniture is made many ways but in the end, the basics of the process are all the same.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Well I just started turning again after a 3 year hiatus, Left to right, ugly weed pot 1 Live oak, ugly weed pot 2 Australian Pine, Norfolk Island Pine Vase, garden dibbler Australian Pine
    017.jpg020.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hall View Post
    Well I just started turning again after a 3 year hiatus, Left to right, ugly weed pot 1 Live oak, ugly weed pot 2 Australian Pine, Norfolk Island Pine Vase, garden dibbler Australian Pine
    017.jpg020.jpg
    Nice! What is a garden dibbler used for?
    Tom

its for my sister, its used for creating holes and furrows for planting bulbs and transplants , its marked with 1 inch lines as a depth aid021.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    Nice! What is a garden dibbler used for?
    Tom
    Also called a dibble. It's a good practice piece and a good first piece for a beginner.

Girls_IMG_20150804_184250_898.jpg

One of these girls made a dibble after her first spindle lesson; the other made a whacking stick to keep her older brothers in line. Also known as a tire thumper.

JKJ

Dave, How far north in MN do you live? I live in Inver Grove Heights SE suburb of St Paul. I visit my sister at Cohasset quite often. I have a large supply of russian olive, silver maple, and 4 old apple trees that will be cut soon. 3 of the apples are standing dead. Also some older semi dry mountain ash. Be glad to haul some to the Grand Rapids area if you need more wood for larger spheres.

Hey Paul -- sorry to be slow, I was off line for a few days, tilling and replanting one of our hayfields.

We live in the woods outside Duluth (not on the shore). I'll send you a PM.

Dave

All beautiful stuff!! Keep turning!