Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Craig List tool prices

Both Craig's list and Facebook are hit and miss. Some people think that the item is worth so much that can wrap it for free in gold when they sell it. I grew up around some people like that. They either had the money or the time to sit and wait for that one special person to come along. At the same time there's still deals to be had. Recently came across a 3 year old 8" wide bed jointer that's $3200 new and with an asking price of $2000.

I don't look too often so my skills on finding deals has dropped off. I did start to get back into woodworking several years ago when auction prices were much lower. So I'm not really looking for any specific tool. But if the right deal comes along I'll upgrade. So if you've got some old stuff you want to get rid of you might as well try. But I don't think that high asking prices means high selling prices. If another stimulus check comes out that could change as people with free money tend to overpay.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    Where are you guys selling bigger machines if not on CL?
    Facebook Marketplace is a much bigger marketplace for machinery than CL these days. At least in FL.

3. As much as I try to get away from FB, Marketplace really is better. The signal to noise ratio selling and buying is much better, and using Messenger to reach out makes contact very simple.

Coastal Massachusetts, here.

CL is a decent place to buy things.
    Selling is not recommended as it's sketchy and there's no way to verify identity before the buyer shows - if they bother.

FB Marketplace allows some measure if discussion, first.

Pricing is ridiculous for used machinery that hasn't been serviced, doesn't run or can't be moved without demolition of a collapsing building first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    Lots more people feeling empowered to list items with a gruff tone theses days too... "Price is FIRM, don't waste my time" types of comments. When I see those, I move to the next listing... I consider it risky to deal with anyone unwilling to haggle a little on used equipment that has unknown-to-me potential issues.

On the flip side, I have made multiple friendships through buying/selling used equipment. I keep in near-daily conversation with one of the guys and we swap favors and ideas all the time.
    Then there are those of us who hate the bargain system. If I'm selling something I price it fairly (to me) and list it as firm. When purchasing I evaluate the asking price and determine if I would pay that amount. If not I continue on. The seller who prices high to leave room to 'haggle' never hears from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd McKinlay View Post
    Then there are those of us who hate the bargain system. If I'm selling something I price it fairly (to me) and list it as firm. When purchasing I evaluate the asking price and determine if I would pay that amount. If not I continue on. The seller who prices high to leave room to 'haggle' never hears from me.
    I'm with you, Lloyd. I hate haggling. When I put things up for sale, I price them fairly but also based on how quickly I need it out the door. The worst is when I'll put something for a super low price just because I'd like it out of the shop, someone agrees, then when they're on their way (or when they show up) want me to take some trivial amount off for no particular reason other than to say they bargained on it.

But on the main topic, the market here is hot as well. Anything reasonably priced goes within an hour. Actually just managed to get an '48 Delta Wood/Metal handsaw in reasonable (but needs a bit of work) shape for $50. I messaged the guy within 30 minutes, and he said his phone was blowing up.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    That's interesting, Charles. We are somewhat seeing the same thing. For example, our US Export Manager, who is in Austria, basically has entire containers of Hammer machines (especially the A3 jointer/planers) "parked" in his words, waiting for fulfillment of various small parts that are outsourced, in order to be ready. Things we all take for granted, like screws, fasteners, aluminum extrusions, etc. Sometimes, those parts how up early and then, the machines can be completed early but I sense that at least in our case, Austria would rather under-promise and over-deliver than quote delivery timelines that will frustrate folks more. So, there is still some inconsistency to the whole picture.

Erik
    This is just in time supply chain biting us. Nobody inventories 1-2 years of components and materials to build things anymore. I ran across a story the other day speaking to the huge number of containers waiting to dock and unload. Sounds like shipping got backed up and a tidal wave hit all at once.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    The worst is when I'll put something for a super low price just because I'd like it out of the shop, someone agrees, then when they're on their way (or when they show up) want me to take some trivial amount off for no particular reason other than to say they bargained on it.
    LOL I had a guy try that, claimed he was short $20. I pointed him towards town told him there are several ATM's then gave him the Tony Soprano poker face. He folded like a cheap lawn chair and found another $20 in his wallet.

The problem with pricing high is that not everyone is close by. If I'm going to drive hours then I'm doing so with the intent of buying. The last thing I want is for the seller to get a better offer while I'm on my way there. That usually means just telling the seller I'll be there with cash and give them an accurate time. Once I do that the seller must know I'm serious and I'm not likely to go home empty handed. That means very little room for haggling.

If I'm selling I don't want to deal with tire kickers so I price it low so it goes quickly. That usually means more than one person interested and I usually tell people who contact me. First come first serve. I will hold something for one day but if it's a Tuesday I don't commit to holding it until the weekend. I usually tell them contact me the morning before you are coming.

Just 6 weeks ago I put my 30+ years old Jet 6” jointer for sale on Facebook. One flake got me going for a day or two. Then I got a solid offer and sold it the next morning. I had checked out listings for a day or two and put it up for 500.00...more than I paid for it brand new! Nice guy showed up, he made an offer, I countered...deal for 475! Still more than I paid originally!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Coastal Massachusetts, here.

CL is a decent place to buy things.
    Selling is not recommended as it's sketchy and there's no way to verify identity before the buyer shows - if they bother.
    Actually I’ve always felt there’s more risk in buying than selling. You never know what you’re going to encounter and you’re likely carrying a lot of cash. I’ve read about people getting robbed when they arrive to buy something. I still transact buying and selling via Craigslist (no social media for me), but I’m very cautious and usually drive around the area before buying something and never go inside anyone’s house.

I'd be reluctant to use "craigslist economics" to drive your decision making. Likewise, craigslist isn't a place to make a killing on selling tools. If you want to thin the herd that's certainly a good idea and demand may be higher at the moment (for probably a relatively short time) as supply has been limited for new tools. With that said, a fair reasonable price designed to move the tool rapidly without haggling has always been my most successful strategy. This is especially true if you are selling specialty tools to enthusiasts rather than cheaper mass market big box stuff to the general population.
    Richard Link

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd McKinlay View Post
    Believe me, I price fairly and am pretty firm on my price too... but I don't list a "stay off my lawn" grumpy statement when I post, and I avoid buying from guys that do use those kinds of statements.

---

One thing I really like about FB Marketplace is that you can gut check whether the reply is coming from a legit source or not by taking a quick look at their public profile (i.e. are they local? do they have a real profile? are they going to show up wielding a bazooka? etc.)
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Well, I guess everyone is looking in the wrong places with this gem floating around.

Screenshot_20210506-231823_Facebook-01.jpg

Well, it is a table, and a saw. Rare vintage piece. You could do worse.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.