Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craig List tool prices

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Craig List tool prices

I watch CL for used tools pretty regularly, and in my area the prices seem pretty high lately. Used Unisaws for $1800, old B&D routers that used to go for $30 are now asking $80. etc.

I think it is about time I thinned the herd , like I have talked about for several years.

I assume this is because of the pandemic, how goes it in your area?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The same ; prices are up because demand is strong.

The music is slowing though. Better get in the game quick, because you've already missed the frenzy and suppliers are beginning to catch up

I watch it casually and I have been amazed through the pandemic how expensive used machines were and also how there were many less available on Craigslist.

BTW, I think it is the same with used boats and motors. The prices of used small lake type fishing boats is way up from what I see.

Delta Unisaws here in the Pacific NW are cheap for some reason. As low $500. A decent looking saw for $750-800 and restored for $900-1,000. On occasion a near new one for $1,800. Prices of other tools are sky high. Lots of people here are buying up stuff at auctions then trying to flip them for ridiculous prices. This stuff sits for months to years unsold but well priced tools sell fast. So fast it gives the illusion of everything priced high.

I took an order for one of our jointer/planers the other day. The gentleman originally purchased a new stand-alone 20" Asian planer in 2019. He told me that he felt confident he could get practically what he paid for it on the used market without too much effort. There simply aren't enough machines to go around, from anyone. During the Great Recession of 2008-2010, there were plenty of machines but no buyers. Now, plenty of buyers but no machines.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik that was the case here in the Pacific NW for the past few months but now our local Woodcrafters (not Woodcraft) is overflowing with machines. Not sure if this was just a wave of product hitting or bursting of the backorder dam.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    Erik that was the case here in the Pacific NW for the past few months but now our local Woodcrafters (not Woodcraft) is overflowing with machines. Not sure if this was just a wave of product hitting or bursting of the backorder dam.
    Charles, out of curiosity: Bigger stationary machinery or just jobsite tools?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Charles, out of curiosity: Bigger stationary machinery or just jobsite tools?

Erik
    Stationary, crates of SawStop machines, Laguna, plus all the accessories, bunches of Powermatic planers both standard and 100th anniversary. I received my 5HP SawStop ICS from them last week and my Powermatic 15HH from Woodcraft the week before.

Blog Entries
    Lots more people feeling empowered to list items with a gruff tone theses days too... "Price is FIRM, don't waste my time" types of comments. When I see those, I move to the next listing... I consider it risky to deal with anyone unwilling to haggle a little on used equipment that has unknown-to-me potential issues.

On the flip side, I have made multiple friendships through buying/selling used equipment. I keep in near-daily conversation with one of the guys and we swap favors and ideas all the time.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

To be fair, the low ballers, flakes, scammers, and psychos on CL are more rampant than usual. The tone I’m sure is weariness. My last attempted sale on CL was my last for good. I was threatened with bodily harm for calling out a flake for being a flake.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    Lots more people feeling empowered to list items with a gruff tone theses days too... "Price is FIRM, don't waste my time" types of comments. When I see those, I move to the next listing... I consider it risky to deal with anyone unwilling to haggle a little on used equipment that has unknown-to-me potential issues.

On the flip side, I have made multiple friendships through buying/selling used equipment. I keep in near-daily conversation with one of the guys and we swap favors and ideas all the time.
    Then there are those of us who hate the bargain system. If I'm selling something I price it fairly (to me) and list it as firm. When purchasing I evaluate the asking price and determine if I would pay that amount. If not I continue on. The seller who prices high to leave room to 'haggle' never hears from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd McKinlay View Post
    Then there are those of us who hate the bargain system. If I'm selling something I price it fairly (to me) and list it as firm. When purchasing I evaluate the asking price and determine if I would pay that amount. If not I continue on. The seller who prices high to leave room to 'haggle' never hears from me.
    I'm with you, Lloyd. I hate haggling. When I put things up for sale, I price them fairly but also based on how quickly I need it out the door. The worst is when I'll put something for a super low price just because I'd like it out of the shop, someone agrees, then when they're on their way (or when they show up) want me to take some trivial amount off for no particular reason other than to say they bargained on it.

But on the main topic, the market here is hot as well. Anything reasonably priced goes within an hour. Actually just managed to get an '48 Delta Wood/Metal handsaw in reasonable (but needs a bit of work) shape for $50. I messaged the guy within 30 minutes, and he said his phone was blowing up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd McKinlay View Post
    Believe me, I price fairly and am pretty firm on my price too... but I don't list a "stay off my lawn" grumpy statement when I post, and I avoid buying from guys that do use those kinds of statements.

---

One thing I really like about FB Marketplace is that you can gut check whether the reply is coming from a legit source or not by taking a quick look at their public profile (i.e. are they local? do they have a real profile? are they going to show up wielding a bazooka? etc.)
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    Stationary, crates of SawStop machines, Laguna, plus all the accessories, bunches of Powermatic planers both standard and 100th anniversary. I received my 5HP SawStop ICS from them last week and my Powermatic 15HH from Woodcraft the week before.
    That's interesting, Charles. We are somewhat seeing the same thing. For example, our US Export Manager, who is in Austria, basically has entire containers of Hammer machines (especially the A3 jointer/planers) "parked" in his words, waiting for fulfillment of various small parts that are outsourced, in order to be ready. Things we all take for granted, like screws, fasteners, aluminum extrusions, etc. Sometimes, those parts how up early and then, the machines can be completed early but I sense that at least in our case, Austria would rather under-promise and over-deliver than quote delivery timelines that will frustrate folks more. So, there is still some inconsistency to the whole picture.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

15. Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    That's interesting, Charles. We are somewhat seeing the same thing. For example, our US Export Manager, who is in Austria, basically has entire containers of Hammer machines (especially the A3 jointer/planers) "parked" in his words, waiting for fulfillment of various small parts that are outsourced, in order to be ready. Things we all take for granted, like screws, fasteners, aluminum extrusions, etc. Sometimes, those parts how up early and then, the machines can be completed early but I sense that at least in our case, Austria would rather under-promise and over-deliver than quote delivery timelines that will frustrate folks more. So, there is still some inconsistency to the whole picture.

Erik
    This is just in time supply chain biting us. Nobody inventories 1-2 years of components and materials to build things anymore. I ran across a story the other day speaking to the huge number of containers waiting to dock and unload. Sounds like shipping got backed up and a tidal wave hit all at once.