Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craig List tool prices

Craig List tool prices

I watch CL for used tools pretty regularly, and in my area the prices seem pretty high lately. Used Unisaws for $1800, old B&D routers that used to go for $30 are now asking $80. etc.

I think it is about time I thinned the herd , like I have talked about for several years.

I assume this is because of the pandemic, how goes it in your area?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The same ; prices are up because demand is strong.

The music is slowing though. Better get in the game quick, because you've already missed the frenzy and suppliers are beginning to catch up

I watch it casually and I have been amazed through the pandemic how expensive used machines were and also how there were many less available on Craigslist.

BTW, I think it is the same with used boats and motors. The prices of used small lake type fishing boats is way up from what I see.

I recently was on the opposite end trying to buy a bandsaw and jointer, ended up with a delta 37-190 jointer for $200 and a delta 28-216 bandsaw for $400. Not screaming deals but the bandsaw had a 1.5/2.0 hp motor and both were in good shape. I jumped on them 20-30 min after the ad's were listed. Craigslist is dead in my area, facebook marketplace has much more traffic. I looked for about a month pretty heavily and people were asking a lot for some very rough looking machines. 3/4 hp 14" bandsaws regularly list for $500-$600, same for 6" jointers. Two people have DJ-20's that have been listed for a while at $1600. I watched one DJ-15 sell for 700 at an auction. Anything thats priced accordingly, 50% or less of retail, gets snapped up fast. Thats for 20+ year old machines you cant buy parts for anymore. You could probably ask closer to 75%/ retail for new well taken care of machines and expect to come down some with haggling. I live in New Orleans and was searching in a 250 mile radius, found the bandsaw 4 hours away. I'm waiting on the day a year or three down the road when there is a flood of lightly used new machines that were pandemic buys.

Delta Unisaws here in the Pacific NW are cheap for some reason. As low $500. A decent looking saw for $750-800 and restored for $900-1,000. On occasion a near new one for $1,800. Prices of other tools are sky high. Lots of people here are buying up stuff at auctions then trying to flip them for ridiculous prices. This stuff sits for months to years unsold but well priced tools sell fast. So fast it gives the illusion of everything priced high.

I took an order for one of our jointer/planers the other day. The gentleman originally purchased a new stand-alone 20" Asian planer in 2019. He told me that he felt confident he could get practically what he paid for it on the used market without too much effort. There simply aren't enough machines to go around, from anyone. During the Great Recession of 2008-2010, there were plenty of machines but no buyers. Now, plenty of buyers but no machines.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik that was the case here in the Pacific NW for the past few months but now our local Woodcrafters (not Woodcraft) is overflowing with machines. Not sure if this was just a wave of product hitting or bursting of the backorder dam.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    Erik that was the case here in the Pacific NW for the past few months but now our local Woodcrafters (not Woodcraft) is overflowing with machines. Not sure if this was just a wave of product hitting or bursting of the backorder dam.
    Charles, out of curiosity: Bigger stationary machinery or just jobsite tools?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    I watch it casually and I have been amazed through the pandemic how expensive used machines were and also how there were many less available on Craigslist.

BTW, I think it is the same with used boats and motors. The prices of used small lake type fishing boats is way up from what I see.
    Used Boat prices are insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Charles, out of curiosity: Bigger stationary machinery or just jobsite tools?

Erik
    Stationary, crates of SawStop machines, Laguna, plus all the accessories, bunches of Powermatic planers both standard and 100th anniversary. I received my 5HP SawStop ICS from them last week and my Powermatic 15HH from Woodcraft the week before.

Blog Entries
    Lots more people feeling empowered to list items with a gruff tone theses days too... "Price is FIRM, don't waste my time" types of comments. When I see those, I move to the next listing... I consider it risky to deal with anyone unwilling to haggle a little on used equipment that has unknown-to-me potential issues.

On the flip side, I have made multiple friendships through buying/selling used equipment. I keep in near-daily conversation with one of the guys and we swap favors and ideas all the time.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    Stationary, crates of SawStop machines, Laguna, plus all the accessories, bunches of Powermatic planers both standard and 100th anniversary. I received my 5HP SawStop ICS from them last week and my Powermatic 15HH from Woodcraft the week before.
    That's interesting, Charles. We are somewhat seeing the same thing. For example, our US Export Manager, who is in Austria, basically has entire containers of Hammer machines (especially the A3 jointer/planers) "parked" in his words, waiting for fulfillment of various small parts that are outsourced, in order to be ready. Things we all take for granted, like screws, fasteners, aluminum extrusions, etc. Sometimes, those parts how up early and then, the machines can be completed early but I sense that at least in our case, Austria would rather under-promise and over-deliver than quote delivery timelines that will frustrate folks more. So, there is still some inconsistency to the whole picture.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

To be fair, the low ballers, flakes, scammers, and psychos on CL are more rampant than usual. The tone I’m sure is weariness. My last attempted sale on CL was my last for good. I was threatened with bodily harm for calling out a flake for being a flake.

As Charles Coolidge says there are machines on CL and Offerup that are priced high and they will sit there for months.
    I know this because I have been checking on bandsaws, there are a bunch on there since last summer, many of them listed by flippers. The reasonably priced machines go in hours. There was a 20" D&W for $375 in great shape a few months back, and two different Delta 14" open-stand bandsaws, one for $150 the other for $250 - apparently they were "noisy" and the owners didn't want to / know how to deal with that. Sold in minutes.

Where are you guys selling bigger machines if not on CL?