Thread: Blum 563 Tandem Slide Install Question

Blum 563 Tandem Slide Install Question

Hi,

I am getting ready to install these for the first time. It is for face frame cabinets. The lip on the bottom of the opening is 4MM. I made a 4MM block and placed it under the rear of the slide and checked level with a magenetic level. It was out of level - the back seems to be about 2MM lower than the front. It is the cabinet itself. I am keeping the exisitng cabinet boxes and making new drawers, drawer fronts and doors.

The question is: should I go ahead and reference off the floor of the cabinet making the slide slightly out of level or do I level the slide and make the drawer box front silghtly out of perpendicular to the face frame? Certainly, most commercial jigs I see reference off the face frame, so option #2.

Thanks in advance

Jerry

Make your slides level, otherwise your drawer won't stay open and tend to close by itself which is annoying. You can compensate by adjusting the front of the box perhaps to be a few degrees out of square.

I disagree w/mreza.

They need to be square to the frames, sides, and base/top. Otherwise your drawer fronts are not going to work correctly or seat against the frames. They'll look like rot too.

Best course of action is to fix the prior errors and level the boxes correctly. If that's the problem. If the boxes themselves are out, it's new cabinet time.

Thanks guys. I went around and checked plumb on the other cabinets and this one is the worst at out 2mm over 2'. No need for new cabinet boxes. The boxes were factory-made and seem to be square.

I can make the slides level as mreza says. Being new to these slides, I had not thought about the fact that I can use a combination of the front an rear rise adjustments to make the drawer front flush to the face frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    I disagree w/mreza.

They need to be square to the frames, sides, and base/top. Otherwise your drawer fronts are not going to work correctly or seat against the frames. They'll look like rot too.

Best course of action is to fix the prior errors and level the boxes correctly. If that's the problem. If the boxes themselves are out, it's new cabinet time.

Maybe my post wasn't clear; as I said you can make the drawer box front a little out of square so that it is parallel to the face frame and hence the drawer false front sits perfectly on the face frame (and you still have your slides level). This is much easier than building new cabinet boxes or take them out and start over....

Hi Mreza,

The boxes are made, but I did figure that I could shim between the box and drawer front to slighlty angle the drawer front as another option.

Jerry