Thread: slot cutting router bits - options

slot cutting router bits - options

I had a box of Whiteside slot cutting bits and I cannot find them; see what happens when you clean.

My preference would be to cut a 5/16" slot 5/16" deep. I would settle for 1/4" slot 1/4" deep, but would still prefer 5/16" deep.

When I look at the Whiteside router bits (since I cannot find my box), I see bearings B5, B20, B25, B26, and B27 to cut slots 1/2", 9/16", 3/8", 1/4", and 5/8" deep. Nothing to cut 5/16" deep. For my uses, I would just by the B26 bearing and cut 1/4" deep and be sad because I wanted an extra 1/16" deep.

Question 1: Is anyone aware of a set of bearings from whiteside? I see BB701, and for the cost, it include all of the bearings for under $50, seems like a good deal if I wanted more than one bearing since they seem to sell for 1/3rd the cost and if I purchased two I might as well buy one more which is the same as the full set of all.

I stopped in at my local Woodcraft and they were all too busy to help me so I left after 15 minutes. They did not have the whiteside stuff in stock, but they might have Freud but I do not know much about the freud.

Question 2: What if I wanted to look at Freud?
    I think that Freud arbor is 60-102 and I think that it has the same 5/16" diameter (as whiteside) for their bits.
    56-112 = 1/4" slot but no 5/16" slot that i see.

63-162 seems to include the 1/4" cutter with a 9/16" depth, so I would need to find a different bearing. I do not really understand what bearings I would need to get either a 1/4" or 5/16" depth of cut.

I have a cmt set, https://www.cmtorangetools.com/na-en...ot-cutter-sets. Haven’t used it much but it’s pretty versatile

Infinitytools dot com carries a bearing set that allows a 5/16" cut depth with their slot cutting bits.

Don't forget MLCS's Kanata (sp?) line. Reasonably priced and good quality

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up ordering the CMT set since I knew the part number to look for and I have always had good luck with CMT bits. OK, I have had good luck with CMT, Whiteside, Freud, and Bosch. I don't have any other brands, but, I expect that the others would have been just fine for my uses.

I really appreciate the help. This will allow me to finish my project when the bits arrive. Well, to move to the next step anyway.

"I stopped in at my local Woodcraft and they were all too busy to help me so I left after 15 minutes."

Same way they treat me, stopped going there. Spent over 3k in the last 8 months online since I was there last August and once again no one could talk to me with no other customer in the store. Ordered my 8" jointer online the night of my last visit there.

Take a drive sometime up to Charm to Keim Lumber, over 50 acres, 700,000 sq ft total, 500+ employees, was there last week. Tremendous selection, didn't realize how big it was and only had 20 minutes before had to go, due to wife and granddaughter with me.
    I need to schedule a trip up there again then onto Hartville Hardware, 305,000 sq ft in Hartville then on to Hamilton Bob's across the line in PA. Swiss cheese at Guggisburg Cheese just up from Keim Lumber and then lunch at Walnut Creek. Would be one fun day, expensive but fun
    Ron