Thread: New Oneida V-3000 DC installed

New Oneida V-3000 DC installed

Here are some pictures of an Oneida V-3000 dust collector that I recently installed in my basement shop. The install went fairly well once I figured out what layout I wanted to go with for the filter stack. Getting the motor up there was a pain, and I tried and failed to do that by myself. I then enlisted my wife, and with her help in sharing the load we had no problem. Everything else went together fairly quickly.

This unit works great, as one would expect. It's way more powerful than the 1.5 HP Delta that I ran with previously. My rudimentary calculations show that I'm getting over 800 CFM at the end of the far run. I have not tested this with my planer yet, but will do that soon enough.

The ductwork is all new as well. It's all Nordfab or Nordfab-compatible, most of it sourced from BlastGate co. The installation for that was a little difficult due to overhead obstructions, but not having to tape up any joints helped ease that burden. The main line is 7", with a 6" branch going across my shop to the J/P and other tools, and another 6" line dropping down for my table saw. Both of those drops get split into 5" and 3" hoses after their blast gates. That bungee cord is for suspending the 5" hose when using the drum sander; it's not there to hold up the ductwork. lol

I still have to clean up some of the wiring and find a better install for the dust bin sensor light, but those can wait.

oneida1.jpg oneida2.jpg oneida3.jpg
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Getting me all excited. Mine shipped today! There's some structural work going on, so I'll be using temporary 6", but my eventual plan is the same as yours: 7" main to 6". Going to be quite an upgrade from my trusty shop vac with cyclone.

Any plans for noise mitigation?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Liebling View Post
    Getting me all excited. Mine shipped today! There's some structural work going on, so I'll be using temporary 6", but my eventual plan is the same as yours: 7" main to 6". Going to be quite an upgrade from my trusty shop vac with cyclone.

Any plans for noise mitigation?
    No, no plans for noise mitigation. This unit is in the same location as my previous DC, which I had mounted on the wall with shop-made brackets, and so I'm used to the noise from the DC being "right there" in the shop. I also think this unit might be a tad quieter than my previous setup, but I didn't confirm that yet. The sound of it running doesn't echo through the house (neither did the previous unit), so that's a plus as well.

And you're going to get a *huge* performance increase compared to a shop vac, that's for sure!

Blog Entries
    Looks great Steve. Ear muffs are my noise control. My DC will live outside the shop this time around but, since forever I have subscribed to the idea that I am wearing ear protection when I run machines anyway . . . I often forget that some folks have to quiet things down for neighbors or others in the home.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Looks like the installation went well, Steve! I hope to get a chance to check it out one of these days when things settle down.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Looks great Steve. Ear muffs are my noise control. My DC will live outside the shop this time around but, since forever I have subscribed to the idea that I am wearing ear protection when I run machines anyway . . . I often forget that some folks have to quiet things down for neighbors or others in the home.
    Yeah, I'm an ear muff guy as well. It's very rare that I run any machine without ear protection, with the notable exceptions being the drill press (depending on what I'm drilling into of course and whether or not I'm using dust collection at the same time), and the shop vac when doing general cleanup (because I'm generally standing about 5-10 feet away from that whenever I use it). Even though the DC isn't that loud, I will still put on ear protection when firing it up.

My shop is in my basement, so as far as I'm aware the noise doesn't transfer out of the house all that much, if at all. It is located in the front section of the house, meaning it's closest to any neighbors, but I've never heard of any complaints. The lack of any screaming universal motors (e.g. lunchbox planers) probably helps as well. When I had one of those I would sometimes have to close the door at the top of the basement stairs (which we leave open since we have cats). My shop is also underneath my home office and our foyer, so it's rare that anyone is standing directly above my shop when I'm working down there. After I fired up the V-3000 for the first time I asked my wife (who was upstairs) how loud it was, and she said she hardly heard anything. That's a very good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Looks like the installation went well, Steve! I hope to get a chance to check it out one of these days when things settle down.
    Jim, you're welcome to stop by anytime, really. Both of the adults in the house are fully vaccinated, but we can all still mask up if you want. Of course your life is extra hectic right now with the move, but if you need a break from all that let me know. I've had my slider for nearly 3 years now and you still haven't seen it. LOL

Blog Entries
    Sweet install! Ah, a 7" main, I see you have been paying attention .
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Because of the requirement for only a few starts per hour, my collector often runs between machine tasks, when I like to remove the ear protection. That's why I built a separate room for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Sweet install! Ah, a 7" main, I see you have been paying attention .
    To be fair, the "main" is maybe, maybe, 10 feet at most, and about half of that is elbows and wyes. The run that goes to the far wall in my shop (16 foot wide shop) is actually a 6" line, because there's no way a 7" line would easily fit up into the joists. So I'm losing a tiny bit of performance in that run, but it's still doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Because of the requirement for only a few starts per hour, my collector often runs between machine tasks, when I like to remove the ear protection. That's why I built a separate room for it.
    I don't have the space for a separate room, unfortunately, and its placement is definitely close to everything else since I have a small shop. Given that requirement for only so many starts per hour I might be removing my ear muffs between tasks while the DC is running, but we'll see how things go.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    Jim, you're welcome to stop by anytime, really. Both of the adults in the house are fully vaccinated, but we can all still mask up if you want. Of course your life is extra hectic right now with the move, but if you need a break from all that let me know. I've had my slider for nearly 3 years now and you still haven't seen it. LOL
    Yea, as of this coming Saturday, I'm two weeks post-second dose, too. As you surmise, it's just a bit crazy right now...I'm "almost" done my punch list at the Buckingham property and the listing will likely go live at the end of the week. Still digging out of boxes here in New Britain. And then comes the shop move... oy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...