Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buyer's regret over Domino XL (DF 700)?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    I bought the 700, and it’s really great for Big Things, when I don’t feel like doing timber framing M&T. But I kept the 500, because IMO the 700 is just plain unwieldy for routine smaller joinery. The 700 is mammoth in comparison to the 500.
    This has been my thinking. I feel that if I sell it I will regret it.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Blog Entries
    No regrets on the 700. I don't use it all that often but its nice to have. Never used the 500, but for me it wouldn't be very versatile.

20210317_203318.jpg
    20210319_103145.jpg

I have owned the 700 XL for about three years. I use it frequently.

I have the Seneca adapters, bits down to 4mm, Ramon Domino dock (made from plans), TSO Big foot, and Seneca Dock Plate XL. This kit allows me to use it either as a portable machine or as fixed machine with the wood clamped in place. The latter is really good for smaller pieces and with the stops excellent repeatability without marking. Picture attached.

IMG_7518.jpg

I've never used a 500 but I don't find the 700 to be difficult to use, regardless of the cutter or wood size I am using it on. It weighs less than my track saw. I am not supporting the weight while making the cut. I just have to lift it onto the surface. That isn't difficult. The biggest issue I have with it and my track saw is the vacuum hose gets in the way sometimes. That would be an issue with the 500 too.

Another thing nice about the 500 is that the distance from the base to the cutter is about 3/8" (10mm) or half of 3/4" sheet goods. This makes it easy to plunge mortises for shelving for bookcases and cabinets.

Can't speak for the 700XL, but my 500 has become indispensable for my work flow. In another thread others have mentioned accuracy problems with the Domino. I have not had any issues at all.

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the DF 700 XL today. Bought it, brought it home and had to get to work (day job) so I haven't even taken it out of the case yet. The store I bought it from had zero tenon stock on hand for the 12 mm cutter, so I had to order some. I have been compiling a list of projects in my mind and it looks like there will be a lot more Domino use and less pocket holes in my future. Going to pick up the Seneca small mortise kit and start making my own tenon stock.

A funny note: I spent 20 minutes trying to explain what I was buying to my 16-year-old son, he could not figure out why I told his mother I was spending over $1600 on a tool. When I mentioned "Domino" he replied, "Well Dad, that's what I used in the school woodworking shop to install the breadboard ends on the coffee table I made" (which sits in our living room). "I didn't realize they cost that much". Welcome to Festool, kiddo. He probably understands how to use this thing better than I do at this point.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Jon, one suggestion I have, if you have not done so already, is to embrace the "long" tenon stock sold in 750mm lengths. It's less expensive and you'll "always" have the length you need simply because you'll cut them quickly at your bandsaw to match the requirement.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

only regret is should have bought it earlier.
    I am contemplating to buy a second one as changing the bit is taking some time.

I have 4 routers I use regularly but would buy another router before buying a second domino. I like it but for what it costs, I can change the bit. I find it is faster and easier to change bits in my domino than it is to change bits in any of my routers. But if you use it enough and have the money, go for it.

My only regret was getting the 500. Still havent upgraded but I havent been doing large projects for the most part and the ones I have i just flipped the router and put another domino on the other side

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    My only regret was getting the 500. Still havent upgraded but I havent been doing large projects for the most part and the ones I have i just flipped the router and put another domino on the other side
    The 700 was released after the 500 and it shows in numerous ways. The 500 is a fine tool, but the 700 has a lot more refinement in it. I only have one issue with the 700 and that is the offset from the base. I wish it was the same as the 500, because of the point Mike makes.

Congrats on the buy, sounds like you have free on-site instruction ready to go : )

I have both. Really would only want to use the bigger heavier 700 when I had to.

MK

Someone mentioned workflow in support of the XL 700. I agree. I also have the 500 and feel the same way. Have to admit my hollow chisel mortiser is gathering dust, except for an occasional giant mortise, which I think the 14 MM on the 700 would work fine. One work technique suggestion. When matching the pieces draw long lines and use the triangle in the center rather than the center line on the plastic thing. I only rarely have to use the bigger hole that way.

Great tool.