Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is there such a thing as a reasonable cost saw set?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Culotta View Post
    Thanks for the replies here. I’ve been trying to find a set that worked well for finer saws, and the recommendations on the Eclipse and Millers Falls are good alternatives to just taking a chance on something random off eBay or paying bonkers prices for a 42x. If there are others worth searching for, keep posting please!
    At one time Stanley offered a smaller pin for the #42X to use on finer teeth. Many people have a second set and file the pin down for use on finer teeth.

Prices can be crazy, just look at the difference between the two #42Xs listed here:

#42X Saw Sets.jpg

Even with the high shipping my first guess was it went fast. Looking into it the seller may have killed the deal and re-listed.

One of the tricks for getting a good deal on ebay is to keep looking and change up the search to look for listings where the person doesn't know what the tool might be.

Yard sales and junk shops can be your best place to find something like this.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've got this one. A Charles Morrill patented saw set. I have not figured out how to use it yet. Anyone here has any experience with it? I get by with the Millers Falls saw set, but I find the pistol grip awkward.

C.Morrill_saw_set.jpg

Link

Here's another one that I have. The Disston Triumph saw set. I don't use it since it's missing the part labeled B in the picture.

Blog Entries
    If you are searching for the Stanley #42 Saw Set it is important to know it on sight. There are a few different saw sets in the #42 series.

If you think finding the saw set is hard, try to find the missing parts.

When thinking about price there are differences to consider:

Stanley #42 Saw Sets (one W:box.jpg

The one on the box is worth more to some folks due to the box. If the box was pristine some collector would likely pay more for the box's condition than the tool's condition. Some folks might not like this box because it has the stamp of a hardware store in Quebec, Canada. It might be preferred with no seller's stamp.

It is hard to tell but the one on the right is missing a lot of its japanning. That should lower the price even though it doesn't lower its usefulness.

Both of these have the extra piece for setting circular saw teeth. Not sure if that makes a difference to many buyers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Oh Canada!

Just looked up mailing a small flat rate box to Canada:

Attachment 456987

That really puts a damper on cross border marketing.

Aaron, do you ever come across the border towards Portland, Oregon?

jtk
    It is the same, or worse, going the other way. Shipping was more reasonable a few years ago. This has really put a damper on my eBay sales. Meanwhile, packages under a kilo from China are subsidized by these rates. Lots of the Eclipse style ones there. But I doubt they have the desirable brass body.
    Last edited by Chuck Hill; 05-04-2021 at 11:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Chuck and Welcome to the Creek.

My brother sells a lot on ebay and it seems the Postal Services around the world also subsidizes ebay shipping with the rates charged to those of us who mail one or two items at a time and walk up to the counter in the local Post Office.

jtk

Blog Entries

Aaron; the Eclipse #77 Saw Set was manufactured with 2 different sized hammers. 1 designed for coarser set teeth, and the other for finer set teeth. The finer hammer is normally identified by red paint on the underside of the main body. A search within EBAY U.K is normally the best option to purchase both types of #77.

Srewie;

Aaron, I haven't forgotten about it. I have your address in my pocket, but have not gone in the direction that stuff is since this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Aaron; the Eclipse #77 Saw Set was manufactured with 2 different sized hammers. 1 designed for coarser set teeth, and the other for finer set teeth. The finer hammer is normally identified by red paint on the underside of the main body. A search within EBAY U.K is normally the best option to purchase both types of #77.

Srewie;
    Interesting that Stewie. I have a bunch of #77s and was not aware that there were different size hammers. My understanding has been that the smallest teeth the #77 dealt with was about 12 tpi, which is why I grind them down.

Regards from Perth

Derek

HI -

We've got a saw set in prototype stages right now....

I would be interested in what y'all feel is a "reasonable" price. I think it's unlikely that a decent saw set will ever get made again (unless by a small firm such as ourselves) as most production saws have impulse hardened teeth, and are not really re-sharpenable. The demand is just not there to attract a volume manufacturer.

Right now - our estimated price is in the $75 range (lots of tooling).

Used saw sets are not that hard to find (at least in North America) and can be had for a few dollars to just shy of $100.

Cheers -

Rob

(in the the last (hopefully) 2 weeks of a two-month lockdown.....)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post

I would be interested in what y'all feel is a "reasonable" price.
    Right now - our estimated price is in the $75 range (lots of tooling).

Cheers -

Rob
    The three things I see when I see a vintage set in an antique store:

How much time and effort will I have to invest to put this thing in working order?
    How long will it last once I get it working?
    Is it still accurate, or am I going to have to calibrate it too?

Score vintage=0, Lee Valley =3.

If you can some up with a saw set good enough to put the Lee Valley name on at $75, I will take four for handsaws 5-12 tpi and two for backsaws 14-20 tpi and be done worrying about saw sets for the rest of my life.

Thanks for considering the problem even if it never makes production.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Have spent $1 on each of these....YMMV......mine are both 100 yrs + old...
    Unless you're offering to sell him one reasonably I don't know that this helps ;-)

Certainly the used market was already skewing prior to COVID-19 and has now completely lost its mind. Like building materials and other skyrocketing goods, new and used, continued purchasing assures continued high prices. Since the alternative is to put things on hold we, who can't wait have little choice in the matter.

There are cheap alternatives to the de-facto standard Somax, Millers Falls, and Stanly offerings although their longevity may be reflected in their price. A "Great Neck SS&" is about $20 and should get you through in a pinch. Like Steve I run older units, a Millers Falls and a Somex. It seems that finding these without spending more-than-expected money or time is a non-starter right now.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

IF the OP wants one of mine...I just need an address to send one to him. No biggie....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    IF the OP wants one of mine...I just need an address to send one to him. No biggie....
    It might be less expensive for you to drive across the boarder to ship it to the OP/ than it would be for most of us.

jtk