Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is there such a thing as a reasonable cost saw set?

Is there such a thing as a reasonable cost saw set?

I bought a "clearance" Sash Saw. Manufacturer has a sterling reputation, but saw wouldn't cut wood - well, it started the cut but bogged down almost immediately. I sent it out for sharpening/setting, but they told me (later) they tend to concentrate on power blades. Bah!
    Inquired of the manufacturer, could they do the teeth setting. They said "yes", so I mailed i to them (International to the USA).
    Long story short, their setting machine is broken and they have no idea when it will be repaired - perhaps this week, perhaps almost never. I don't understand it, but then .....
    So, when they send it back, assuming sharp but non-set, I looked at Craigslist locally, and Marketplace. I can't believe the prices of a Stanley 42X!
    Is there anything else out there that I can look for that makes economic sense?
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Have spent $1 on each of these....
    May Rehab, Same maker.JPG
    May Rehab, anvil.JPGmay Rehab, Atkins set.JPG

YMMV......mine are both 100 yrs + old...

I am in your same boat. Among Vintage the Stanley 42X seems to be the horse to beat, I haven't been able to find one local at all. Lee Valley has had saw sets on their website in the past, though I didn't see them this morning. The Lee Valley ones were on llong backorder last time I did see them. If I find a 42X local that needs some work to become a user I expect to pay about $75, or beg someone to ship to Alaska.

Aaron, look for a vintage Eclipse #77 saw set (in bronze). They are really excellent and fairly common. I have about three of them. As with a 42x, remove the hammer and grind it a little narrower for 15 or 16 tpi dovetail saws. The existing hammers on all of these are really intended for about 12/tpi., which may be about right for a sash saw.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    The cost of shipping has become a larger part of purchasing through ebay.

Along with this the pandemic has caused more demand for all kinds of tools and everything else. At the same time there are world wide supply line disruptions.

An auto dealer sales rep told me people with used vehicles know they are worth more now due to supply problems. People with stuff to sell are likely also in tune with this.

If I find a 42X local that needs some work to become a user I expect to pay about $75, or beg someone to ship to Alaska.
    Don't the USPS flat rate boxes work for Alaska & Hawaii?

Just answered that:

Alaska Shipping Cost.png

Hope it only needs the springs unless you can make your own screws. If my memory is working the screw that works for the handle's hinge pin is threaded 10-28.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-03-2021 at 3:16 PM. Reason: People with stuff…
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There have been threads arguing for and against how to move the teeth for setting, in particular bending vs. twisting. If you are not adverse to a twist instead of a bend (in general, hammer and anvil style sets bend the teeth more or less at the base of the triangle) you can use a screwdriver between pairs of teeth and give a light twist.

I'm doing this method on my saws with teeth smaller than 14 TPI. In my case these are filed rip. I don't think I have anything that fine filed crosscut. Applying pretty minimal set too since I'm mostly using these in hardwoods. Can't tell you how much as I'm not measuring it. Very touchy-feely, going for the "it just feels right" amount of twist of the screwdriver handle.

It did take a little bit of practice to get the feel and produce a set even enough that the saw doesn't drift left or right. Worst case I had to stone one side or the other until I got the hang of things.

Works just fine. My saws, my rules as it were, YMMV (possibly significantly).

(And I have some Eclipse #77's that I use otherwise. I like the ergonomics better than the 42X. Easier on my wrist.)
    Last edited by Rob Young; 05-03-2021 at 3:17 PM. Reason: grammar
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Unfortunately, there is no current maker of saw sets. You are at the mercy of the markets. To get a Stanley saw set like a 42x you have to go where the dealers or sellers are not savvy enough to know what they have. Flea markets come to mind. Last time I bought a 42X I paid $35. for it. That's about the market price. A really clean one would be more, of course. Prices are above average on almost all tools now, but be careful because when old tools were hot in the '90's, prices were higher than right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    Is there anything else out there that I can look for that makes economic sense?
    Yes. The Millers Falls 214 is an excellent, but little-known alternative to the 42X, and does not command the same prices.

PM me your address, and I'll send you one that works. I have a box full of them, and only use a couple of 42X's. I'm not interested in selling any, or having a run on people wanting one.

I've bought 3 different saw sets at small town antiques store here in Central alberta and they were all under 10 bucks.

Blog Entries
    Oh Canada!

Just looked up mailing a small flat rate box to Canada:

Canada Small Flat Rate.png

That really puts a damper on cross border marketing.

Aaron, do you ever come across the border towards Portland, Oregon?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, if they ever open the border I'll be on the way to visit grandchildren in greater L.A. before they change their minds - by motorcycle. I've often thought of stopping by for a coffee on the way, and meeting you in person.
    Yes, I find the cost of shipping from/to the US to be only this side of ridiculous.
    Waiting .......
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I got an email showing my PM folders were full here. I just dumped everything, so should be able to get one now.

Does the PM have to be from the OP?

Thanks for the replies here. I’ve been trying to find a set that worked well for finer saws, and the recommendations on the Eclipse and Millers Falls are good alternatives to just taking a chance on something random off eBay or paying bonkers prices for a 42x. If there are others worth searching for, keep posting please!