Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

3 May 2021

Greetings,
    This past week has been busy with teaching my woodworking student, helping with the yard work and I won't mention the work for the day job. Also attended an awards ceremony for The LOML at her college. So proud of her!

Tracy_Award_UACCM_1.jpg

Still have a bit of work to be done on the kitchen pantry expansion but that's primarily final touches and final paint. This week...starts my oncall week, so we'll see how this goes.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Going back two weekends, I cut my first four dovetails by hand. It took me two days, because after the third one, my eyes were too crossed to continue. The final result was that two of the joints were snug enough to hold together on their own, and two were not. The four joints were on the corners of a box, which holds together really well now...thanks to the glue, not the dovetails.

I did the same this past Saturday. The results were still ugly, but all four joints fit well enough to hold themselves together, and I got them all done in less time.
    IMG_3774, 600.JPG

Also this past weekend I raised a panel for a test fit in my kitchen hutch project, which has waited patiently for a couple of weeks while my motivation had been in a bit of a lull.

Side Panel Test Fit.jpg

I wasn't altogether certain whether I wanted a single panel on the side or a pair of narrow ones, but this test fit convinced me that a single panel is the way to go.

It's been a while since I set up a panel raising bit, and I was careless in making sure the bit was set to the correct height. The result is that this panel is too proud of the frame. I'll make two new panels for the sides and then reuse this one for a door after cutting away and redoing the profile.

Humbling lessons and reminders, but enjoyable time in the workshop nonetheless.
    Chuck Taylor

This past week has been...exhausting. We moved into the new "downsize" property last Monday. So there's at least some unpacking that's happened and some other necessary things at the new place. And then there's the huge amount of work getting the "old" property ready for the real estate listing which should happen by the end of this week if all goes well. I'm down to a few minor things plus some additional cleaning on my punch list for that and hopefully will accomplish that tomorrow. We still have to move the plants (which will go in the sunroom at the new place for now), get rid of some more donations and then I can turn my focus to packing up the shop and getting that moved in the next few weeks. There's been a bit of spending and ordering for a bunch of "remedial" things for the new place, like storage solutions, getting towel bars for the master bath that for some reason don't exist, etc., LOL Thankfully, I have enough tools to service both properties.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not a lot of shop time this week, but I got all the parts for cabinet doors final milled and cut to final size, ready for joinery.

Did a bunch of outside stuff, including clearing a bunch of overgrown brush. The township comes by 3 or 4 times a summer and chips up any brush stacked neatly at the side of the road, and first time was today, so I took advantage of that. But they won't take anything with thorns and probably half of what I cleared had flesh seeking barbs so I had to load that stuff into the trailer for a trip later to the yard waste recycling site. Got the skid steer out of winter storage and ready to go. Calling for rain for a couple of days so hoping to make more progress on the cabinet doors.

And I've been spending spare time doing early research/planning for kitchen remodel.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Hi Dennis;
    Things are still popping, I see.
    My new 2 HP cyclone/cartridge dust collector arrived, and I got it all set up ready to plug in and start attaching ducts....when my electrician told me the breaker I wanted him to install couldn't go in, not enough space in the box, so I'm wired up and waiting. Added another circuit to the garage too, waiting to fire it up.
    While I've been waiting, I've started thinking about a port to duct my dust air flow out the shop to the cartridge which I plan to mount outside.
    I've been making screens for my house. 1931 vintage double hung, Fir, so I got some 1x3 Fir, fired up my dedicated mortiser, and because I don't have a dust collector ready, I used my Jack Rabbet plane and chisels to cut the stopped dados. Problem is, the window trim and windows need painting too, so you can imagine the 90 YO paint coming off with my heat gun and scraper; the sanding and the priming. Finally, I have 3 done, and 3 more to go. I guess it'll be a painting summer.
    And, of course, the inevitable yard work.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.