Thread: Bandsaw flywheel wobble

Bandsaw flywheel wobble

I recently obtained a lightly used 12y/o 14in Jet bandsaw. I'm going to set it up as a second bandsaw to cut curves etc and use the bigger saw for resawing. While cleaning up the saw I noticed a slight wobble to the lower flywheel. The upper runs true. Upon putting a gauge to the wheel it measured to be .025 out of true. The wheel is tight and the bearing makes no noise. And it is not the flywheel rim not being uniform thickness. the wobble can be readily observed watching the tire housing. This wheel movement when translated to the blade would affect both the cut and the thrust bearings. I Think but i don't know, any observations or solutions or am i being over concerned?

I would get a blade on there and cut some wood before I put another thought into it. Sometimes these forums will have you believing that you're dealing with F1 engines. Your blade will be under tension from the spring when in use. Your human inconsistency will put more pressure on the guides than this little wobble ever could.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I would get a blade on there and cut some wood before I put another thought into it. Sometimes these forums will have you believing that you're dealing with F1 engines. Your blade will be under tension from the spring when in use. Your human inconsistency will put more pressure on the guides than this little wobble ever could.
    I agree with johnny, a .025 wobble may make no practical difference. The blade runs on a flexible rubber tire so it may run perfectly true. The problem for me would be if the out-of-true was also uncorrected out-of-balance and produced a vibration. Any vibration should show up running the motor even without a blade mounted.

My 18" shop bandsaw has cast iron wheels which have been balanced with holes drilled into the backside of the wheels. No vibration.

JKJ

When I get everything put together with new tires, belt, guides and so forth I'll report back. Running without a load has not revealed any vibration.

Direction of offset? If it is not radial I would not worry overmuch about it.Consider new tires if it concerns you. Or grind the tires down to be concentric.
    Bill D

Did you check without a belt installed?

Replace the wheel.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."