Thread: Weather Beaten Exterior Door

Weather Beaten Exterior Door

My exterior door is about 30yrs old and it shows its age. Right now its weather lot which I will have to sand it down some both by hand and palm sander to remove the old clear oil base poly finish. This time just going to paint it, but wonder what is a decent paint to use? Maybe go back with latex, or should go back with oil base paint? Not looking for that glass finish just something that will protect and put that new look on an old door. I want to roll it since not that big of project but don't know what type roller to get. Yea I will also have to use one of those cut end brushes for the molding. Looking for little guidance since I been out of touch for several yrs with remodeling and prices
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 05-02-2021 at 2:19 PM.

I would brush it not roll it. As far as the type of paint, I defer to someone who is up to date on the newest products.

I'm about to paint the front door of our new "downsize" home. It's not a wood door like yours. That said, the nice folks at the SW store where I do a lot of business as of late recommended the Emerald urethane paint product for this job and I took them up on it. My suggestion for you would be to strip it down and clean it up as well as you can, put on a high quality exterior primer and then do your paint, using the methods you prefer. (I honestly just use a brush)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank, guys I also buy from SW's so going to check into that.

SW's Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel is great stuff. It can be used for both interior and exterior applications. It's an oil modified waterborne and self levels beautifully. It doesn't dry as quickly as a pure waterborne product, however, in case that's a concern.

Honestly, I would apply it with a brush which is traditional for a painted door, but you could use a roller first just to get it on and then brush it out. A foam roller should work well if you go that route.

John

I used some SW UTE in colder weather. It seemed like it wasn't going to be that durable then, but now that things have warmed up, and it's fully cured, I'm really impressed with it.

I can't think of any good reason to use an oil based paint on wood anymore. I do still use oil based primer, but only because it's worked so well for me, for so long, and I'm reluctant to change that. I've seen surface paint fail on old surfaces, but the oil based primer is still good underneath.

Don't try to rush this

I recently refreshed the 3 outside doors on my house. They needed a bit of repair so they went into the shop one at a time. I set up temporary closures so the work could take overnight. Two nights actually.

Stripped all hardware and made repairs.

Prepped and primed both sides.

Finish coated one side at a time; different color inside and out. Painter's points help here but still let it set overnight before flipping.
    Reinstalled hardware and rehung. As Tom suggests, paint is not done curing for a while. I covered the weatherstripping with blue tape for a few days so it would not pull the paint.

One other point to remember this time of year - make sure the surface of the door is cool when you start painting. If the sun has heated it up the paint will start to dry before flowing out and leveling properly.