Thread: Grizzly GO462 v-belt

Grizzly GO462 v-belt

I'm trying to help a friend find a replacement v-belt. The Grizzly site offers a 3/8" belt for about $70. The belt I want to replace looks like it's about 1/4" wide. Would a 3/8" belt work? Is there a cheaper alternative?

Belts for anything https://www.beltsforanything.com/

3/8" is right; you're probably thinking it's a 1/4" because the original belt has worn down to that. I owned one of those lathes and the pulleys on the Reeves drive are not aligned, causing it to literally eat belts. Good news is it's a common belt size and you can find them anywhere. I shopped around and found some for $5 or so apiece and bought several and changed them often. Using a new belt brings the lowest speed down quite a bit, which is useful. Don't waste money on high quality belts for this, the misalignment of the pulleys will destroy them quickly. Such a silly design flaw for a lathe that is otherwise a lot of capacity and capability for not much money.

Best,

Dave

Thank you, Dave. I've been searching the internet for hours and haven't found one the correct size. It's about 24 inches long. But just found some belts the correct size on ebay. Problem is mine has lugs spaced about an inch apart.
    Last edited by Kim Metzger; 05-01-2021 at 5:53 PM.

Does this look like the right one? https://www.ebay.com/itm/20077906309...oAAOSwepZXRfPR

That would work. At the time I had mine, the factory belt was not cogged, but no reason it won't work. I used 3L 240 belts, which are the non- cogged version of what you linked to. I don't know if cogged belts might handle the pulley misalignment better.

I'm assuming your friend's lathe has misaligned pulleys like mine did. I called grizzly about it and they just shrugged, it's just the way it's built. I looked into elongating some mounting holes to try to get enough adjustment to better align them, but the way the castings are it was kind of dicey. When I had it apart to replace the spindle bearings (after a lot of use), I did scoot things around a little and improved the alignment some.

Best,

Dave

Google 3L240 belt and you'll get hundreds of hits. I saw them as low as $1.58 apiece...

Try an auto parts store.

robo hippy

Thanks, everyone. I think I found the right one. I won't know for sure until the friend in the US I shipped it to returns to Mexico. https://www.ebay.com/itm/20077906309...oAAOSwepZXRfPR

Kim, I replied to your post on the GGMG subforum.

When I checked on Grizzly, the listed price is $7.50 for the P0462022 Cogged Mx24.5 cogged belt. For a Reeve's drive I'd probably want the cogged version. If you buy from Griz, buy two and consider them to be "expendables" (things that are kind of expected to wear out and need replaced).