Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Get Rid of It and You Will Need IT.

The problem with saving everything is that sometimes what you need the most is open space

I'm about to move after being in this place for 15 years.

I promised myself that if I haven't used it since I've been here, it's not going to the next house.

Well - we started the clean out & got as far as the computer stuff & old televisions.

Nobody wants that sort of thing & they charge you ($29 ea) to dispose of them. Great.

I've been following some posts on Facebook and CL to see if they are having any luck getting rid of stuff like burnable DVDs and CDs, jewel cases for them and other old computer stuff.
    Best Buy will accept some of it - but - they limit you to three items per day per household.

The city has a bulk item pick up day, but, it was Monday so we missed it until next month.
    Oh well. It'll just have to wait.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Pretty sure I could get rid of at least half of everything not nailed down and still not be missing anything-
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I double dare you to try it and report back in a month.
    --It helps when you have at LEAST two of everything
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    --It helps when you have at LEAST two of everything

I'm the guy who had two of everything, including wives.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    I'm about to move after being in this place for 15 years.

I promised myself that if I haven't used it since I've been here, it's not going to the next house.
    Clifford, I did that when built my new house and shop 18 years ago. One thing that got me was no scrap chunks of wood or plywood. It drove me nuts to have to cut up a full 4x8 sheet to make a jig or shop fixture. All my frugal life I had a good scrap pile to dig through. Now I look at my fairly organized scrap piles with a grin.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    Another hoarder here. I grew up in New England and they have a term for it there... "Yankee Frugal", which basically means being resourceful and thrifty. My wife uses terms like "hoarder" and "junk collector", but she's mostly teasing because it is uncanny how often saved items have been put to use.

That said.. I just did a round of major cleanup / reorganization, and was able to put a bunch of stuff out for free. That was therapeutic, freeing up true junk that I had no business keeping. The rest of my stuff, I have gone a new route with... my storage space upstairs in the barn is my "hardware store" for bulk bins and stuff I don't use a lot, thereby leaving my main shop to hold only ~6 months supply of commonly used items. I restock from my storage area (or actual hardware store) when needed.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I must admit that I have hoarder tendencies, but we are getting ready for a cross country move later this year. Movers charge by the pound, so I've been slowly working my way though my stuff with that in mind. We are in the "trash barrel must be full every week" mode as my wife is working her way through her stuff too. Some of my neighbors are in for quite a load of hardwood fire wood to get them through next winter.

If anybody is passing though Pueblo, CO, I have about 100 old issues of FWW that I don't want to move.

Yeah, but which half?

My misc hardware bins got a clean out. Since I never use lock washers that bin had been filling up with them. And screws with straight slots are mostly gone too. Much better now. Gotta start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    My misc hardware bins got a clean out. Since I never use lock washers that bin had been filling up with them. And screws with straight slots are mostly gone too. Much better now. Gotta start somewhere.
    This would be so hard for me to do. I have saved everything for 48 years now. I know I'll never use 99% of it but I do have times where I can go right to some unique item and when I do, I get the warm fuzzies.

Re slotted screws, that is where I'm ready to toss all the galvanized ones I bought (I'll never use them) but I have a bunch of really really old slotted rusty steel screws I've saved over the years that would be useful for restoring old furniture. Don't throw those out!

Dave, I could have / would have sent you a small pail full. Many were from my dad's collection, he started about 100 years ago. I almost never used any and none for a restoration. Sometimes you just have to let go.