Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-aging - Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Anti-aging - Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Although pressurized oxygen chambers have been around for decades apparently the first anti-aging study using them has just been published and the results are amazing to say the least. What's now known is that this kind of oxygen therapy elongates what are known as your cell's telomeres, the shortening of which are directly related to, and may possibly be the cause of aging. To make a long story short, influencing telomere length is THE holy grail of anti-aging research.

So what's involved in a treatment session is getting yourself into a pressurized vessel not unlike a large propane tank. 100% oxygen is pumped in until 2.5 - 3 atmospheres is reached. Depending on what condition the therapy is prescribed for these sessions can last anywhere from 20 min to 2 hours. The benefits of pressurized oxygen have been long established and are far too long to list, from wounds that won't heal to stroke and pre-stroke victims.

The problem is that, although this therapy is technically fairly simple, it remains extremely expensive and can only be had through a doctor's prescription. Until this research was published a few months ago it wasn't known just how beneficial this therapy could be to the average person and has been reserved for patients with debilitating conditions. So my question is, how do I make one of these things happen?

Here's an example of a homemade version I think is very doable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKz72FJ2NH

So what are your all's ideas on making one of these? Where would you go to find a chamber like that for starting material?
    Last edited by brad hays; 04-26-2021 at 10:15 AM.
    If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years later. ~ Mark Twain
    History began on July 4, 1776. Everything before that was a mistake. ~ Ron Swanson
    The economy of what you say lends more to it's meaning than the depth of it's exclamation.
    If you need a tool and don't get it, you paid for not having it and you still don't have it.

I think Michael Jackson had one. Didn't it catch him on fire? His voice sounded more like Helium to me. Pure oxygen is an ozidizer, duh. so nothing organic like wood, cloth oil, lotion etc. Every oxygen pressure gauge says "use no oil". Ever asked yourself why?
    Bill D.

Old enough to remember the Apollo 1 astronauts in the 100% oxygen capsule on the launch pad with highly professional people running the operation. Don't think so for me.

Do not try this at home. I spent 13 years as a navy diver and we used 100% oxygen in some decompression tables. The use was carefully monitored.
    Joe

How about a link to the report ???

I would want to know (a) who conducted the study, (b) under what conditions and/or restrictions was the study conducted, (c) who paid for the study, and (d) for what length of time was the study performed?

There are new "studies" released regularly with fantastic results only to be shown to have some false claims a short time later.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Now there's an example of a completely irresponsible YouTube video.

There is more than one pressure release on the tank, but, in essence, the door locks from the outside, and when you're in there on your own I would say you're hosed if something goes wrong.

How would emergency responders even get you out if they have to push the door in and you're unconscious body is blocking it?

In an emergency how would anybody near you know how to handle the bends from rapid decompression. That is all beyond me. Most everything I know about the bends is contained in this paragraph. I recognize my ignorance and decline to use a home built chamber run by dangerous amateur operators.

Just because we can build something doesn't mean we should, or that we should use it.

Those kind of videos seem to attract those of us who are less than discerning. I rolled though the comments pretty quickly just to take a look, and I found one from a person who wants to use it for his or her plants. Now there's an example of a genius attracted to this sort of irresponsible video. Think about it. Plants. They live on carbon dioxide, and would suffocate in oxygen.

I've wasted too much time with this silliness.

Listen right here to Joe Bradshaw, a couple posts up. He has quite a bit of experience along these lines. And he said it with far fewer words than I did.

In fact, I would not be displeased if this entire thread were deleted. It would protect us from the complete ignorance advanced in an extremely dangerous operation.

Wow, is all I can say. Just wow.
    Last edited by Tony Zona; 04-26-2021 at 1:06 PM.

I've known several hyperbaric nurses and docs at a multiplace chamber. During a "dive" there were typically 1-2 hyperbaric trained nurses in the camber, a hyperbaric trained physician on site, and a trained hyperbaric chamber operator.

You just don't open a valve to depressurize/get out, you need to do it according to a "decompression table"/schedule like Joe said

Way too many places to screw up big time on the diy learning curve, This is not a diy project.

It seems that sudden death might be the outcome of trying this at home, but death is the best way to prevent aging, though it has other undesirable concomitants.

home-made hyperbaric chamber...sounds kinda like filling balloons with acetylene-- it'll make them float, but probably not a great idea...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Yes I agree with everyone this kind of project probably crosses the limit of what should be done in a non-professional environment. If this study's results are repeatable though, the payoff would be extraordinary. Here's the original...

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33206062/
    If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years later. ~ Mark Twain
    History began on July 4, 1776. Everything before that was a mistake. ~ Ron Swanson
    The economy of what you say lends more to it's meaning than the depth of it's exclamation.
    If you need a tool and don't get it, you paid for not having it and you still don't have it.

"Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    This is a great idea. Totally safe. Nothing really bad is going to happen.

sarcasm
    sarcasm
    sarcasm

One failed hose or valve and you have rapid decompression. Also one spark and “boom”. Up in smoke. The guy is using the cheapest air hose Home Depot sells. I don’t even trust my spray gun with that hose. I’m certainly not going to trust my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    This is a great idea. Totally safe. Nothing really bad is going to happen.

sarcasm
    sarcasm
    sarcasm

One failed hose or valve and you have rapid decompression. Also one spark and “boom”. Up in smoke. The guy is using the cheapest air hose Home Depot sells. I don’t even trust my spray gun with that hose. I’m certainly not going to trust my life.
    WHAT?! No tolerance for risk?! Come ON! This could add 3 to 5 minutes to 1 person's lifespan. Who cares if 20 lives end 3 to 5 yrs prematurely. Stretching the frontiers of DIY science is worth it. Right?

(There's a Darwin Award lurking in this thread.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brad hays View Post
    Yes I agree with everyone this kind of project probably crosses the limit of what should be done in a non-professional environment. If this study's results are repeatable though, the payoff would be extraordinary. Here's the original...

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33206062/
    That's a huge stretch from what this report says to the hyperbole in your opening post.