Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post office does it again

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    So my package arrives yesterday at the Phoenix annex whis is about 44 mile south of my house so I'm expecting it to be here today , so I check tracking and they sent it 115 miles south to another PO.Tlak about wasted time and money. and from what I read its gonna get worse .
    TWICE in the last month I experienced identical misadventures from the USPS. Both times I had ordered something small from Amazon, was "guaranteed" a 2-day delivery time, then got a note saying the package would arrive late. Nearly a week later Amazon said "Your package may be lost" and offered a refund. Both time tracking showed the movement details were identical (except for the dates):

USPS_tracking.jpg

Both times I requested the refund, reordered the same item, and it was delivered the within two days. The most recent I reordered yesterday and received it today!
    Very strange.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The upswing in poor and failed service is something new in my experience. I was always amazed that the USPS could do what they do for the price. Running it must be more of an art than a science. There are some organizations that do not benefit as we might expect with a businessman at the helm. These operations require a different set of skills. Could you see a successful CEO as a high ranking military officer? Overseeing a bleeding-edge medical research center? Leading a successful art colony?

What Glenn said, it doesn’t take long memory to appreciate this point of view.

Blog Entries
    Update: package delivered. I should cut them some slack with COVID causing woes for teansportation. Usually a Priority Mail to or from here takes 3 to 4 days, which is pretty good.

The most amazing shipment time I have ever experienced was a letter sent from the Arctic Circle to the Virgin Islands. I received it the next day. Seriously, I don’t think you could have flown here from there in a day with connecting flights and layovers. The letter was just sent stamped mail.

Blog Entries

I'm fine with the Post Office !

I have had some poor experiences with the USPS but I think they are rare when I consider all the mail I send and receive. If the post office did not exist and I asked you how much it would cost to mail a letter from New Jersey to California , I bet their would be plenty of estimates of $5 and $10 and not too many of $.50-$.75.

Not to be too critical ( I guess I will be) sometimes we sound like a bunch of grouchy old men☺
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    The most amazing shipment time I have ever experienced was a letter sent from the Arctic Circle to the Virgin Islands. I received it the next day. Seriously, I don’t think you could have flown here from there in a day with connecting flights and layovers. The letter was just sent stamped mail.
    This could be due to the international date line running up to the north pole. If it was mailed from across the date line, it could technically have been mailed tomorrow to arrive the day after tomorrow which only seems like the day after yesterday.

Another factor to consider with current mail service is with people staying home they are ordering more from Amazon and every other retailer that will ship product.

Package handling is up. Handlers are in shorter supply. Stuff happens.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-04-2021 at 2:06 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This could be due to the international date line running up to the north pole. If it was mailed from across the date line, it could technically have been mailed tomorrow to arrive the day after tomorrow which only seems like the day after yesterday.

Another factor to consider with current mail service is with people staying home they are ordering more from Amazon and every other retailer that will ship product.

Package handling is up. Handlers are in shorter supply. Stuff happens.

jtk
    I believe it was someone here who said postal workers are allowed up to 12 weeks off 'to care for sick family members'. Lots and lots of sick family members (even if they didn't have any family members). So yeah, the Post Office would have been shorthanded. I don't recall details but my wife confirmed this with a local postmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I believe it was someone here who said postal workers are allowed up to 12 weeks off 'to care for sick family members'. Lots and lots of sick family members (even if they didn't have any family members). So yeah, the Post Office would have been shorthanded. I don't recall details but my wife confirmed this with a local postmaster.
    Not just Postal workers, but pretty much all employees of Federal, State and Local government entities, along with employees of most medium-to-large private sector companies are allowed up to 12 weeks per year of unpaid leave under FMLA (the Family Medical Leave Act). It was a great help to my wife as primary care giver for her mother and father as they approached the ends of their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    Not just Postal workers, but pretty much all employees of Federal, State and Local government entities, along with employees of most medium-to-large private sector companies are allowed up to 12 weeks per year of unpaid leave under FMLA (the Family Medical Leave Act). It was a great help to my wife as primary care giver for her mother and father as they approached the ends of their lives.
    Excellent idea but it seems to have been abused.

Blog Entries
    If I have an important letter, I go to the post office and mail it.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    If I have an important letter, I go to the post office and mail it.

Does that get it delivered faster?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I am very grateful to the post office in general for delivering and (especially) picking up out here, and during the pandemic they have been very effective at continuing to keep things moving, though I have had more delays than usual both in sending and receiving. As I understand it the current Postmaster General and some other persons in power in the last 20 years or so have been doing various things to undermine the postal service because they think it should be privatized. Living in a rural area I would think that the charges for shipping to and from here would be much worse if there was not a USPS for the private firms to compete with. Almost all of my income is derived from things I ship to other parts of the country and world, and a lot of my materials are delivered here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Excellent idea but it seems to have been abused.
    Not quite clear to me how you would be able to come to that conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    Not quite clear to me how you would be able to come to that conclusion.
    People that don't have sick family members or close friends still taking the 12 weeks off. In my book that's abuse. Having legitimate family health issues is not.

I ordered a specialized tool from a Chinese company on April 19., it was shipped on April 20 and on April 22, reached the USPS international Postal receiving station on Long Island New York. 7,000 miles in just three days. It is 190 miles from home to long island, NY and 14 days later it still hasn't arrived.

Blog Entries
    I have taken a letter to the post office and mailed it to myself and it was in my mail box the next day or two.

Why don't you do that and check it out.

I was in the Navy and served on a carrier and a destroyer.