Thread: When patience pays dividends

When patience pays dividends

I missed out on a Stanley 5-1/2 last year and it kind of has haunted me ever since. Not that I truly needed one, but it was the only one I've ever seen locally.

Today I stopped in my usual haunt and low and behold there is a Type 11 5-1/2 with a price tag of $19.

IMG_20210429_173715150.jpgIMG_20210429_173720787.jpgIMG_20210429_173737950.jpgIMG_20210429_173743873.jpg

I don't think the front knob is original, and the horn is broken from the tote, but being it's only the second one I've ever seen I wasn't going to leave it there.

I am glad I grabbed the only one ever seen for sale up here. I have mine setup up as my foreplane, blades can interchange to #6 and #7 if you aren't jumping accross too many type numbers. I don't have a #7. My 6 is quite a bit younger than my 5 1/2 with a different mouth opening, so I don't interchange, I leave my 6 set up as a panel plane, like a jointer plane but for smaller panels if the source I read that on is credible.

Anyroad, with an 8-9 inch (about) radius crown on the iron, my 5 1/2 is a lovely tool for getting rough stock down to business. You have some restoration ahead of you, but for $19 I would have bought it if you had left it on the shelf for me to find. Good luck.

Congrats! Nice when patience finally pays off in such a dramatic way. $19!!! Did you buy a lottery ticket on the way home with the plane? ;0)

Jason,

Ya did good! It looks like you have a restoration project ahead though.

In your case, the iron in your 5 1/2 will not interchange with the irons of the #6. #7. and # 4 1/2. Those three take a 2 3/8" iron, and your 5 1/2 takes a 2 1/4" iron. In the late 1930s Stanley changed the #5 1/2 to take a 2 3/8" iron like the #6, #7, and #4 1/2.

Stew

Blog Entries
    There is already one in my shop and this one would have come home with me at that price, great find.

Before 1939 the #5-1/2 used a 2-1/4" blade. That might work on a #4-1/2, #6 or #7

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, Stew, thank for clearing up the type numbers on the blade interchanging v- not interchanging.

OP, wait for your wife to leave on a shopping trip before you rinse the naval jelly off in whichever bath tub you choose. Points for cleaning a bathtub while she was at target for six hours good, doghouse for leaving leaving phosphoric acid residue in one of the bathtubs bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    Jim, Stew, thank for clearing up the type numbers on the blade interchanging v- not interchanging.

OP, wait for your wife to leave on a shopping trip before you rinse the naval jelly off in whichever bath tub you choose. Points for cleaning a bathtub while she was at target for six hours good, doghouse for leaving leaving phosphoric acid residue in one of the bathtubs bad.
    Sounds like you know from experience!