Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dodge Challenger Concept Car

Allan, mine was the 2-door Dart (gold) with the straight 6...real workhorse engine. It was my 21st birthday present from the 'rents and I was in the closing years of my Penn State tenure. I turned 16 in 1973...'drove my mother's various cars when it was necessary for summer jobs, etc.
    -----
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Anderson
    Now most are out of the price range of the average erson when you weigh practical value+price point . The new muscle cars change all of that.
    The only change is that many of us are, in theory, better able to afford the new ones, but they are certainly not going to be inexpensive...which in many ways they were back in the 1970s.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

2. Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    If Chevy came out with a 1970 Chevelle SS, I'd buy it.
    John, I'm with ya... my very first set of wheels was in 1981. My folks gave me a 1971 Chevelle Malibu (2-dr hrdtp w/ black vinyl top). It only had the 307 in it, but it sure was a sweet lookin' ride. One of a few cars I've had thru the years that I now wish I had back. I also had a '69 Camaro.

The new ones, while kinda neat, just don't do it for me.

My first set of wheels was a 1957 VW ragtop. No second gear, no heat, no exterior lights of any kind, awesome tube radio.

Man could that thing go in the snow, especially at night!
    Only the Blue Roads

Glad to see Mopar naming a car, which actually looks like the car we're expecting to see! Get a load of their present day "Charger"??? What a joke! I love those 70's Challengers/Cuda's as well as the real Chargers! A retro Camaro/Firebird would be too cool, as well. As for the powerplants, not sure one needs a 6-pack anymore. I saw an interesting comparison a few years ago between a late model 'Vette and and an early model, built big-block rated at about a guzzillion HP. The new one out-handled, beat it off the line, took top end honors and did all of it getting mid-20's for MPG!!!! I think the big-block averaged right around 12mpg!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Now my first real car was a 57 BelAir 2 door hard top with 270 HP dual quads- three speed transmission-- red outside and red inside-- cost about $2,250. Boy did I have fun --
    Jerry

I'd buy that Challenger in a New York second!
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

My first real car bought in 1983...
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    If Chevy came out with a 1970 Chevelle SS, I'd buy it.
    I'll tease you with my 1969 SS
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim Young...I didn't see your 1969 SS before I posted mine...geez they look like twins...the colors look real close.

That Challenger looks SWEET !

But I love that Camaro. I can't wait to see one when they hit the showroom floor.

Jim and Steve....you make me sick.

My first car was a 70 Chevelle SS. I loved that car. Sure was a long time ago....Or maybe it was yesterday.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Allan, mine was the 2-door Dart (gold) with the...
    Same here! I still have some of the gold spray paint around here even though I got rid of the car eons ago. I put some KYB Gas-adjust shocks on it and had the rear leaf springs redone with an extra leaf put in it. Also stuffed the biggest tires I could get onto it.

Yeah, I was one of *those* kids.

I can appreciate the classics for what they were no matter what the make. There were some pretty sweet rides back then.

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Anderson
    ...Has anyone here purchased any of the new "classic" cars? Mustang, Charger? Will anyone buy the concept Camaro or Challenger if/when it is built? Just curious. Regards, Bill
    A former co-worker of mine moonlighted as an auto reviewer for several magazines, so nearly every week he had a different car to drive (often with Michigan plates, here in California). He had the new Mustang for about a week and a half -- prior to the public release -- and seemed impressed with the car overall. He was generally not much of a Ford fan, but the new Mustang really caught his attention. (I had a '67 for part of my high school years, and have always liked that era of body style.)

- Vaughn

Being a car guy first, I'd have to say I like the looks of the retro challenger. If they make it, it'll be a hit. I guess they didn't do the charger because they already slapped the name on a re-faced 300. Also can you imagine how many orange retro chargers would be sporting a big 01 on their doors if Chrysler had decided to build them!?

I like the retro styling that has been introduced over the last 10 years or so. I am not sure if Chevrolet was going for the retro look with the Camaro or not. If they were, It looks to me like they missed the mark. It might be nice looking car but I don't see enough of the old Camaro in there. Maybe I need to see more pictures.
    BTW, I'm still waiting for GM to do a retro Corvair. but I'm a bit biased, I still have one in my garage ('64 Corvair 95 van).

My only regret in my car history was not being able to come up with the $3500 to buy the '57 Nomad wagon in the late 70's. I knew at the time that it would appreciate tremendously.
    Last edited by Bill Lewis; 01-10-2006 at 7:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Steve....you make me sick.
    John, I could give you a ride in the old grocery getter if it would make you feel better.