Thread: Toy Box Hardware Question

Toy Box Hardware Question

I will soon be starting a toy box for our first grandchild. I was thinking of using the torsion hinges that Rockler sells for the lid, unless someone here has some better option. Should I also be adding the soft-close supports if using the torsion hinges or is that redundant. I want this to be as safe as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Scott

The torsion hinges are sold as being sufficient. You should be able to use only them.

You could build the box using just torsion hinges, and test it yourself. Soft-close supports can be retrofitted easily if you decide you really want a belt and suspenders.

Thanks, Jamie. I tend to be a belt and suspenders kind of guy when it comes to safety in my builds. I designed and (over)built a playset in the yard for my kids nearly 30 years ago and it is still rock solid. My family joked that it would survive anything short of a direct nuclear attack. I'm okay with that.

Scott

I built two toy boxes with the Rockler hinges a couple of years ago. Have not loosened up in that time. Just do the lid weight/width calculation correctly.

Thanks, Stan! I appreciate hearing your feedback as an actual user.

Scott

Scott, I now remember I had some difficulty getting the mortise's depth right, and getting the lid positioned correctly in order to line up smoothly and get a good 90º closure. Maybe thats true of all hinges. These are made to fit a 3/4" inch back, but check before you start making as I found the fit a bit loose on one box. But I would use again for this purpose.

That's good to know! I will get the hinges in hand before I do any final sizing of my stock. Thanks for the information!

I have used them a few times with great success.
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Quote Originally Posted by Robert L Stewart View Post
    I have used them a few times with great success.
    Thanks for the feedback!