Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Junk Cars

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    When a junk yard gets a car to be junked what do they do with the titles??? My concerns are if that car does not make it to the scrap heap and gets stolen and is involved in some shady happenings can it come back to original owner??
    In Texas anyway a salvage yard won’t take a car from you if you don’t have title, and if you do, you have to sign it over to them. Otherwise you have to jump thru some hoops with the state DMV to get a provisional something-or-other. So in either case it’s not your problem.

If the car was stolen, it should be reported as such, and then it’s still not your problem. The biggest problem (in Texas anyway) is if someone gets ahold of your toll road transmitter. That can ruin you.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    The biggest problem (in Texas anyway) is if someone gets ahold of your toll road transmitter. That can ruin you.
    Boy, given that they snap a picture of your plates at every toll point that's a crime that should be pretty straightforward to track down!

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Boy, given that they snap a picture of your plates at every toll point that's a crime that should be pretty straightforward to track down!
    You don’t know our toll road authority! It’s like arguing with a T Rex. They are big dumb and stupid, and determined to have their meat.

I live in PA, and my cottage is in NJ. NJ has a way of making things difficult.

One time I took an old VW rabbit to the junk yard in PA. Unibody with serious rust problems but it ran. While waiting in the lot for it too open, some guy knocks on the window and asks how much are they giving me. $75 at the time. He said "I'll give you $150. I explained the rusting problem. He said he has a relative who works on VW"s and that he didn't care. So I followed him to the notary and did the deal. Stuff happens to me...

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    When a junk yard gets a car to be junked what do they do with the titles??? My concerns are if that car does not make it to the scrap heap and gets stolen and is involved in some shady happenings can it come back to original owner??

Guy at work just sold a car. The new owner did not transfer the title to her name. She was in an accident and now they are going after him because it is still in his name. Have been told when you sell a car you can call the title office and tell them and will take your name off the title?????
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Is the car in her name? If so, getting a title is no big deal. Here in Ohio just show ID and pay a fee.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Is the car in her name? If so, getting a title is no big deal. Here in Ohio just show ID and pay a fee.

OK the whole story is, my older sister died in Dec due to covid. It is her estate we are trying to clean up and sell off such as these abandoned cars and eventually the house after we clear it out. That is a whole other headache. The thing is my brother and myself have declined any inheritance from any of this and we signed off rights to my younger sister who is in need for funds. But we are still trying to help her. So I am guessing that my sister would have to sign these titles because she now owns them. Probably will call DMV to see how to go about getting title.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Guy at work just sold a car. The new owner did not transfer the title to her name. She was in an accident and now they are going after him because it is still in his name. Have been told when you sell a car you can call the title office and tell them and will take your name off the title?????
    Here in CA you (the seller) are required to report a sale to the DMV. That protects you from situations like what you describe. It also allows the DMV to go after the buyer to collect sales tax and license fees. The seller can do it on-line.

Mike

In Utah, and I suspect a lot of other places, if you have a 'suspect' car, truck, trailer, boat, ATV, etc, just contact the closest law enforcement official and tell him you need a VIN check. They'll examine the vehicle to verify the VIN, run the VIN thru their computers, if it doesn't show up on any stolen or lien lists, you get a signed paper from them that states you're now the legal owner, and that's that. If you're going to use the vehicle, you just need to get a new title. If you're scrapping it out, give the paper to the 'new owner'. I've done this twice, didn't cost a thing, takes about 5 minutes...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle