Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot hide glue pot alternative? (none available for purchase..)

Blog Entries

Hot hide glue pot alternative? (none available for purchase..)

Title says it all. Looking for a reliable way to heat hide glue.

Bought a wax heating thing from Amazon and (big surprise) it's a piece of poo.

Lee valley has a pot but it's super small. (1 FL Oz)

Are you looking to purchase a Hold Heet pot from someone or are you just looking for an alternative?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I would buy a hold heet, it looks like they are not available.

Is there an alternative?

Crock pots , I think some of them have temp lines and numbers ; and some just warm....etc. A cooking thermometer will work. After the
    everybody must have a crock pot craze they were going for 3 to 5 bucks at yard sales.

Target has them on sale NOW !! ,for $14 dollars!. Since most of the crock pots are large ,you will probably want to use it like a “double boiler”.

Search on ebay for "wax warmer". I bought one for something like 14 bucks, with free shipping, and it's been working fine for several years. They have a lift out "pot" in them.

I use a baby food warmer. Use a cooking thermometer once to find the setting for the temp you want. Make sure you get one that does not have an automatic shutoff. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a little crock pot in the rare event that I use hide glue. Works fine.

I use a Rival brand thermostatically-controlled "hot pot" I got for $8. They are on EBay fir $10-$15. Glue jar is in a water bath. I cut a hole in the plastic lid for the glue-brush's handle.

Coffee cup warming tray/device works too.
    Regards,

Tom

They make little crock pots to heat smelly liquids to stink up the house for aroma therapy.
    Bill D

While I wouldn’t refuse a Hold Heet pot that fell into my lap, the miniature crock pot as a double boiler has done well for me, especially since it came to me free. I rigged up a dimmer control to help keep the water bath at the right temperature.
    Chuck Taylor

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the replies.

I have decided to use hide glue for now for a line of speaker boxes, so I'd like the real thing vs a wonky setup.

They are out there, I found a 220v International Hold Heet glue pot from a music supply...then purchased an adapter, works fine....(could also replace the plug end to fit USA 220v outlets). There is also a Hold Heet pot and glue on ebay right now....$227so far.........and just for more information a company in NJ.... WAAGE they have heavy duty adjustable 1pt, 1Qt and up glue pots but $300+....so there are choices before settling for crock pots or hot plates.

I don’t see how using a crock pot is settling, they are much like the glue pots. But with the tax code maze, it might be possible for some to
    save money by buying new. Many here have seen guys set up shops with all new expensive stuff, most of those guys don’t become
    successful. But some don’t go bankrupt !