Thread: New Life for "Muskoka Chairs"

New Life for "Muskoka Chairs"

I'm sure some people here have purchased plastic Muskoka chairs (different areas call them different names), The problem is that after 2 or 3 years the sun fades them out and they get a chalky appearance that comes off on your clothes. Usually time to throw them out and buy new ones. I tried a couple of suggestions like Armorall or WD40 but it doesn't last long and you're back to looking bad. Saw a tip online that suggested using a heat gun to actually melt the plastic back to new condition. I was sceptical but with lockdowns and plenty of time on my hands I thought I would give it a try. I was very suprised at the results... the pics show a dark grey chair before and after the heat gun and a dark brown one half way through the process. So for anyone thinking of throwing these kind of chairs out it's worth it to give them a few more years of life...

CAM00869.jpg CAM00870.jpg CAM00873.jpg

Big difference there. be nice if that also worked for all the brown aluminum doors that turn pink over time.

Looks interesting. They didn't become sticky?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Looks interesting. They didn't become sticky?
    Nope.... they end up just like they came out of the store.. shiny and smooth....

Blog Entries
    I read something once that said that hydrogen peroxide can remove the chalky stuff. You have to keep it wet overnight. Lay peroxide soaked paper towel or cloth over the item and wrap in plastic wrap. It sounds like a lot of bother for a chair. I like the heat gun idea.