Thread: Specialty tools

Specialty tools

I’ve had an interest in tools other types of crafts use that might be perfect for specialty woodworking tasks. I was talking to my jeweler friend about inlay and sometimes the need for a very small chisel...less than 1/8”. He commented that 1/8” was large to a jeweler and could get 1/16” or less if I wanted. So here is one he got for me that is .0635”. Perfect for cleaning out 1/8” stringing grooves or other small tasks. I may have him get a few more as the need arises. Always fun to run into something useful for woodworking that isn’t made for woodworking.

28CFA4FA-B4E7-4293-B3EF-B9763E8889F2.jpg 527A5577-D59B-46BF-A03F-0AE74A0A03D0.jpg
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 04-28-2021 at 5:45 AM.

I enjoy doing that too, Phil. Jeweller's chisels like these are a great find!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Neat!! I think you probably meant .0635” though, which would be a bit over 1/16” (.0625”).

Left click my name for homepage link.

John, yes, thank you. I corrected my original post.

They are also useful for small dovetails. Gravers is the name for that tool. Been using my grandfathers for years.

B1F21107-3070-4DDB-9C33-03F25613146E.jpg

Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Jim, you’ve been holding out on us! I think I’ll find a number of uses for it. I assume your grandfather was a jeweler?

I am holding out a bit, I’ll be posting a project in the next day or so. My grandfather was an engraver and a die maker. He engraved silverware, jewelry, trophy’s, watches, rings you get the idea. I have a bunch of his tools of the trade.
    Jim

this is a die sinkers ball vise I made a little bench top for. Very handy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Ritter; 04-28-2021 at 3:35 PM. Reason: Add photos
    Ancora Yacht Service

Blog Entries
    Really cool example of Tool cross pollenization from one trade to another. Super practical for inlay too I bet. Thanks for sharing Phil.

This is not such a reach from woodworking but the wooden jaws make this machinist's vise real handy for small work.

Machinist's vise 3.jpg

As shown they were a little too long so they are shorter now. 5 minutes to change over.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    This is not such a reach from woodworking but the wooden jaws make this machinist's vise real handy for small work.

Machinist's vise 3.jpg

As shown they were a little too long so they are shorter now. 5 minutes to change over.
    Same thing with my big metal vise but it is just a couple pieces of firewood that rest on the bottom of the jaw extension. It only takes as long as fnding two pieces of firewood and turning the vise screw.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)