Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting 14" bandsaw - does it make sense to keep 9" benchtop for narrow blade ?

Question Getting 14" bandsaw - does it make sense to keep 9" benchtop for narrow blade ?

Hi - I'd appreciate some perspective from y'all. I currently have a 9" Grizzly benchtop bandsaw, which I'm hoping to upgrade to a Laguna 1412 when they're back in stock. I find that changing blades on the current one is enough of an inconvenience that I tend not to do it unless I really really have to - so I don't take as much advantage as I might of the different options. (I tend to change my table saw blade more frequently - but that doesn't require re-adjusting guides, tension and tracking.) I thought about keeping the 9" with the narrowest blade installed so I could use it for finer work and leave the new one with a resaw blade. My shop is quite small though so keeping the second machine on a stand is not possible. I'd have to find a place to keep it and pull it up on the bench to use. Even finding a place for that will take some work.

Is it silly to keep the small one for this purpose? How quickly can folks change the blade on something like the 1412? I'm sure performance on the Laguna will be much superior so maybe it doesn't make sense to keep the Grizzly at all.

Another option is to get a scroll saw. I could keep that under my bench and pull it out pretty easily for when I need to do curves - although I realize a scroll saw is not exactly the equivalent of a bandsaw with a narrow blade.

Mostly I'm looking for a reality check here - any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Michael Jasper; 04-27-2021 at 10:29 PM. Reason: clarification

IMO, it would be very nice to have a second bandsaw with a narrow blade. IIWM, I'd find a way to keep it. If you find you don't use it much after a while, you can always sell it later.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I have a Laguna 1412 as my only bandsaw. I've been thinking of getting a smaller one just to have one with a thinner blade.

So I would keep it.

I have a 10” and a 14” and use them as you describe. I find it very useful to have both.
    I resaw and do some rough ripping on my 14”. I use the 10” almost every time I am in the shop.

I have a 16" bandsaw and have been contemplating a smaller one to go with it. I keep a resaw blade on the 16" and it would be nice to be able to cut tighter curves without changing the blade.
    Dennis

I have a 16" and a 10" bandsaw and still use the smaller one a lot.

Wouldn't want to be without either of the two little 10" ones. The 14" is my least used bandsaw.

If you have the space, why not ?

I have a 17, 14 and a 10 inch BS they all get used, each has their own purpose

Ditto. I have a 10" and 2 "big" ones. I use the little one a lot.
    About the scroll saw. I only use it for very tiny curves and delicate small stuff. Slow, blades break often, lots of issues..... It has it's place also.

Absolutely, keep both. 9'' is great with the 5/16"-3/8" blade. 14 " with the 1/2"-3/4"
    I have three. 10", 14" & 18". All are dedicated to different tasks. Seldom change blades.

No surprise in these responses!

I've got a 24". The table is low, so it's back breaking bending over to see the work for contour cutting. Never mind swapping blades, adjusting guides. So a smaller saw is on my list.

The 10" was my first choice, but realistically I'd put it on a stand rather than stash it under a bench and drag it out when I need it. So in my case, moving up to a 14" is just a (rather large) chunk of change, no penalty on space. More capacity, more stable most likely, better blade life ... I can make up all kinds of excuses ...

A scroll saw offers the advantage of threading the blade through a hole. Tough to do with a bandsaw unless you've got a blade welder. Not uncommon on a metal cutting saw, which is somewhere down the list as well. Probably below a real cutoff saw, surface grinder, Sunnen hone ... Maybe even behind a 2nd machining center.

Space would be the only reason I could see to get rid of it. Maybe money but I can't see a 9" Grizzly being worth much so if you have the space then keep it (as others have said). You can always sell it later if you find that you only need one. I have a 19" Grizzly but I'm waffling on adding a scroll saw or a small (less than 14") bandsaw for doing tight corners. My 19" usually has a 1/2" blade in it and occasionally a resaw blade but like most, I'm lazy when it comes to changing blades. Swapping between the 1/2" and 1" blades requires very little changes but I have to believe that going to something as small as a 1/4" blade (or smaller) would require more time adjusting the saw.

If it's paid for then space is the only concern. I just acquired a MM20 but am finding it very convenient to have my Delta14" saw with a skinny blade on it in addition to the big resaw blade on the MiniMax. Not having to change blades is a pleasure.