Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC on switch(es) or remote start?

DC on switch(es) or remote start?

Hi all,

As noted in a different thread, I'm in the process of going to dust collection 2.0. I've had a Long Ranger remote to start and stop my system for a long time and it has worked well. Except for keeping track of the remote.... That said, I've been switching a single hose from machine to machine, so no dealing with blast gates. But I will need to have gates on my new set up where everything will be 'hard piped'. So I'm planning to switch over (pun intended) to using switched blast gates located right at each machine.

I searched the forum, but didn't find an obvious thread on what folks prefer in terms of switching for dust collection and why. Curious what folks have and what they like and don't like.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

My Jet DC is still 110v and so I use an iVac switch to automatically turn on my J/P, Tablesaw both on 240v feeds and another swith for my other 110v tools.

I also have the iVac remote to remote manual switching on and off.

Had this setup for 6+ years, changed the batteries in the remote once in that time.

While I dislike the physical format of my DC's remote (Jet cyclone) I would dislike 1000 times more having to walk across the shop to do that task. I have normal blast gates and can't comment on switched ones.

My simple-minded solution is to keep the remote dangling from the strap of my apron. I don't even have to look down to find it. Obviously won't work if you don't wear an apron....
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I prefer (and use) a centrally located control switch the operates a contractor for the 240v load of the cyclone.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a 240V cyclone so I made a remote using a contactor that uses 120V on the coil. I then use a cheap "christmas light" type remote to turn my cyclone on or off. The cheap remotes can be readily found with multiple remotes which I then stick on stationart tools using stick on velcro. I usually just grab the closest one and throw it in my apron pocket while working but there is always one within reach. Having the contactor means the cheap remotes work as the contactor handles the heavy amp load rather than the remote. A lot cheaper and less hassle to replace than using the purpose made 240v remotes. I just checked and the contactor is $10 and a quick amazon search on 120v remote pulled up lots of multiple remote options for $20 or less.

When I got my 3HP Oneida cyclone, they were having a deal where if you bought a second remote at full price, you could buy as many as you wanted after that for something like $10 each. I had been planning to hook up low voltage switches to all my blast gates, but I ended up buying six remotes instead and attaching them to the walls near the machines. It worked out to be cheaper and much faster than doing the low voltage switches.

My 2hp HF has 4 gates in its piping. I use a cheap, like $15, remote I got from Amazon and keep the remote in the chest compartment of my apron. I bump it sometimes but otherwise it works well. Biggest problem is closing gates so my small DC isn't trying to suck from two at once (it will but not nearly as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Alex LaZella View Post
    I have a 240V cyclone so I made a remote using a contactor that uses 120V on the coil. I then use a cheap "christmas light" type remote to turn my cyclone on or off. The cheap remotes can be readily found with multiple remotes which I then stick on stationart tools using stick on velcro. I usually just grab the closest one and throw it in my apron pocket while working but there is always one within reach. Having the contactor means the cheap remotes work as the contactor handles the heavy amp load rather than the remote. A lot cheaper and less hassle to replace than using the purpose made 240v remotes. I just checked and the contactor is $10 and a quick amazon search on 120v remote pulled up lots of multiple remote options for $20 or less.
    Ditto this setup. The only improvement I would like to make with my system is a motorized blastgate at the tablesaw either operated from another remote or turns on when the saw is turned on. The remote I have operates 3 devices which is used for my rotary phase converter, DC system and air filter. I keep it in a central location and haven't lost it yet.

I installed a contactor at the dc and then dropped hardwired switches in four places around the shop at the most commonly used machines. I'm never more than two steps away from a switch when I need one (90% of the time I'm no steps away), I can always find them, and they always work. Plus they were cheap to install-- regular 14 ga romex and four-way switches. Could have gone with a low voltage control system but I already had the wire and switches so it was easier to do a 120v control circuit. I'm a happy camper.

Blog Entries
    I went with a remote operated switch wired into a contactor which works great for me. I’m a hobbyist with a smaller shop in part of my basement (~700 ft^2). I have 2 remotes (RF) that are magnetic. They are very easy to relocate and stick on a machine when needed and are always close by due to my smaller shop. I bought the remote switch with 2 remotes for less than $30 on Amazon and I can add remotes for cheap but haven’t needed to. I’m an engineer and develop equipment. I had some old industrial contractors but they can be purchased at a fairly low cost as well.
    The remote switch connected to a contactor is easy and works well.

I just use the remotes that came with the Oneida. My biggest problem is forgetting to turn the DC on when I'm using the Wide belt. My solution was to put a label on the Wide belt that says "Remote on?". It's similar to one I put on the bandsaw that says "Blade tension? - Yes/No". What I would really like is automatic blast gates, but that's a whole other story.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I use a centrally located push button station.....Regards, Rod

Remote, what remote? Mine uses a current sensor mounted in the panel box, which controls contactor for DC. Based upon design in FWW, Aug 2000. Added a run after break timer to allow for cleaning of pipes.

I did the same thing as Bruce, wishing I knew about the FWW article. It took some time to design and find the parts.