Thread: Shelix cutter install screws won't sit flat is this ok?

Shelix cutter install screws won't sit flat is this ok?

Installing a Shelix on dw735. OEM version, so I had to remove the cutters. Now, no matter what I do, the screw is not flat to the cutter. Dips a bit on one side, proud on the other. Some are off by a lot.

Cleaned the head and cutters, although the looked perfect. Try pushing away from the seat, screw is not right. Lift the cutter to the screw head as I lower, not right. I did not even think to check if it was like this before, from the box.

I know this is comparing apples to another kind of apples, but I just rotated all of the cutters on a Jet 15" HH planer - removing and cleaning them in the process - and they all went back into place very evenly and uniformly. I used an inch-pound torque wrench to seat them after snugging them by hand with a torx screwdriver. Something on yours just doesn't seem right. Maybe a picture or video might help resolve? Update: Looking closely at the picture in the upper right corner on this page https://www.byrdtool.com/shelix it looks like the screws don't necessarily sit flush with the cutter. Here's another picture from their website and if you zoom in you can see that at least some of the screws heads are slightly skewed on some of the cutters.
    Shelix.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rod Dilyard; 04-27-2021 at 3:06 PM.

Good catch! That's exactly what it is. Looks like ...design. or lack of? Anyways, putting them on now. Will let you know how it goes.

4. Brian, I too just did the upgrade with the OEM head for the DW735. To get the screws to set flat, loosen them up, and slowly torque the carbide on, and/or, slightly touch the carbide when torquing down. Be patient and you'll get the screws to set flat.

The carbide inserts are metric, the screws are not. That I believe is the screw issue and it's not just the DW735 head. I get that call quite often.